What size wheels???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size wheels???

Found out i'm going to need some new wheels. Went to have my rock rashed set balanced and one of them had a small crack in it. While it is not leaking, not sure I want to be driving with a cracked wheel.

I am currently running 15x10 with 33x12.5. Once the tread wears out I will move up to 35x12.5. I want to stay with the aluminum Mickey Thompson style (generics ok)

What are most of you running, 15x10's or 15x8's and why.

Also found blwngaskets previous post with wheels and tires for sale, sure wish those were still available.

Re: What size wheels???

I would say the 15x8 would be preferred rim because it puts the tire farther out and helps keeps the rim from being hit by rocks. A narrower rim also helps keep the tire seated on the rim when you air down. I would run the narrowest rim recommended by the manufacturer of the tire you decide to run.
    77 Ranger, 302, C4, 4.88's, Detroits, 35 spline 9", WH 5.5", 3" BL, 37" BFG KM2's on Walker Evans 17" beadlocks

Comment

I run 10's w/35x12.5... I like the look of the deeper dish. I ran 8's with the same tires and didn't like the narrower look.Others run 8"s but have run spacers behind them to get the track width and looks they want. An 8 will hold a bead better than a 10 when aired down w/o beadlocks. depends on the use and look you want...
      72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
      BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
      RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

I run 8" wheels, and now that I have them I definitely prefer the looks of the 10" wheels. I chose 8" wheels for the same reasons listed above though - bead retention when aired down. I do run spacers behind my wheels, so my track width is about the same as running a 10" wheel.
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

Modified Hummer rims at 9" wide with 2" spacers and the B.S. set at 3". Me likey
          1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

I personally hate aluminum wheels on a trail rig. The tend to burp beads more and when damaged you're kind of hosed.
            I will mirror every one else saying 8 or 10 inch wide depending on what look you want.
            I run 17x9's with 42's.
            Mark Harris
            71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Makes sense about the 8's. I like the look of the current 10's I have. I've heard bad things in the past about spacers, I'm sure they've gotten better. What spacers are you guys running? It will be primarily street with about 10% trail (3-4 trips / yr)

Comment

I am running the spacers from ebay... can't remember the seller's name but he's on there all the time. They are very nice quality, and I have not yet seen any of the problems about the spacer's lugs loosening, even over about 250-300 miles. I am not wild about running spacers but I was knocking wheel weights off without them so I had to do something. Plus I like the slightly wider stance and improved on-road handling (they made a noticeable difference). I'm running 1.5" spacers so I'm about 1/2" narrower each side than I'd be with 10" wheels. I don't see that as being any worse than running 10" wheels on my running gear.
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

I just started running Blwngskts tires and rims now that my rig is running. highway manners are great!

I prefer 10 inch for the looks, but was too cheap to pass up the deal. Next year this set will get downgraded to the Heep and I'll upgrade to 37's on 10's. If somebody shows up with a good deal on a set, I may take the bait sooner.
                  70 rebuilt 302, Edelbrock Performer intake and carb, C4, 20 w/aftermarket gears & HD output, D44 w/Power-lock, disks, 4:88, 9 in Detroit, PS, PB, winch, lights, rock bumpers, full cage, 3 1/2" WH lift, 2" body lift, IROK 37's, 23 gal tank

"70" CJ-5 ('58 frame, '70 tub, '72 running gear, '80 motor) 350 sbc, 5 1/2 in lift, 35's, PS, PB, full cage, lockers, 5.38's re-gear spring over going in soon.

And a bunch of other crap, some of them run.....

Comment

I went with 15x8's beadlocked for 38x12.5's. I wanted the balooning effect to help protect the ring.
                    72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

10's look better and your truck looks good. I'd stay with 10's.
                      sigpic70w/ 69/351w/GT40 lightning heads 435/203/D20 5.5/3in 44/arb 9in/detroit need some beadlocks

Comment

I don't mean to hijack the thread but can you guys also recommend they best type of beadlock wheels to use. I am starting to look myself and am thinking 15X10" wheels.
                        Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

When I had 15's I had Allied bead locks and never had an issue, they were a very nice product.
                          I went to 17 inch wheels and had DIY4x4 custom cut my beadlocks and I freaking love them.
                          They add so much more of a personal style.
                          The downside about DIY beadlocks is if your welds suck, they will leak. Mine don't leak however :P
                          Mark Harris
                          71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

If you do a diy beadlock on a 10" wheel, you will probably end up with a 11" wheel. Mine were 8's and now they are about 9's.
                            Marc D.
                            If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

This is a good thread so I wanted to build on this more.

I am looking to make a change from 15x10 to 15.8 maybe and looking to add new beadlocks to the mix.

What are some thoughts about this up to date and what are you guys running today.

Thanks.
                              What can I fix next?

Comment

Working...
                              X