Axle seal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle seal question

Does anybody have a part number for the axle end seals needed when running 31 spline axles in a small bearing housing? I just discovered that my shafts don't go all the way in and they get hung up on the old seals as the axle gets larger right towards the end where the bearing rides. The bearing OD is fine and matches the old bearing OD - but the seal isn't going to work, and its too late for a WH run... So much for driving the rig this weekend

Any help would be great - if this is an auto parts store "on the shelf" item that would be sweet.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: Axle seal question

If you have a micrometer, you can get your three measurements, ID, OD, and width. If you find someone at a napa (or a good parts store) that knows how to read there book, you should be able to get what ever you need.
    Marc D.
    If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

I was doing a little googling on the subject and I think I found something relevant. These conversion bearings have an O-Ring seal that takes place of the axle seal. I looked at my bearings and sure enough there's an O-Ring that runs around the outside of the bearing that the stock shaft bearings did not have. I am starting to think I can remove the existing seal and not replace it. My local NAPA is just about useless if you can't give them a year, make and model for the part you're looking for. We do have another decent parts store in town though that might be able to find a seal for me if I end up actually needing one.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

I say yes if it is a tapered bearing and not sealed that way it gets oil but you will need a race in the housing
        Originally posted by TBS-POPS
        After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Working...
        X