Proportioning valve question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proportioning valve question

Here's a question for anybody familiar with the proportioning valve sold by WH...

I recently developed a brake fluid leak. In the process I lost some POR-15 off the frame, but that's an easy fix. Please take a look at the attached picture and tell me what the purpose of the circled fitting is. That rubber "cap" snaps on and off and below it is a hex fitting. Mine was loose and it appears to be what was leaking. It was actually only finger tight! I have since tightened it up and I *think* the problem is solved - but this is a slow leak that usually takes a couple days to form a puddle on the ground below the Bronco. The rest of the fittings on the prop valve are tight and dry.

I looked at the document that came with it and the .pdf on WH's site, and neither shows what that fitting actually is. I suspect it is part of the internal valving, but it is my understanding that this is not an adjustable valve, so why would this thing be loose???

TIA
    -Tony
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CityHick; 04-15-2009, 07:17 PM.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: Proportioning valve question

Don't know bud, but I think I'm gonna check mine. Thanks
    T
    1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

I'm not using that piece, so I can't much help on this. But have you called WH to inquire with them? Give Mark a call or he may even chime here.

Comment

My guess is that it is a service port to gain access to the internal parts...

I am thinking that for whatever reason you got the one built on Friday that was not tight from the factory.

As long as it does not leak and there has been no change in braking, you should be good-to-go.

Doug
        2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
        1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
        2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

After a few evenings of scratching my head trying to locate the leak I finally popped that rubber cap off and found it was wet inside. That is when I noticed that fitting being loose.

Doug you are probably right on all counts - built on a friday, and a service port to access the internal components. The only reason I haven't called WH is because I literally discovered this problem about an hour ago and they're closed... I will probably call them tomorrow unless Mark chimes in here.

Strangely it hadn't been leaking (or at least not leaking much) until a couple of weeks ago. I first noticed it after taking my dad for a spin, at speeds up to 70mph! I'm glad to have found the problem, and even more glad it didn't totally fail on me especially during one of my high speed passes behind Fordcore's shop at the Livermore Airport!

Definitely worth checking for anybody who has this piece installed!
          -Tony
          Last edited by CityHick; 04-15-2009, 07:39 PM.
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

I got one, I'll have to check it!
            77 Ranger, 302, C4, 4.88's, Detroits, 35 spline 9", WH 5.5", 3" BL, 37" BFG KM2's on Walker Evans 17" beadlocks

Comment

Originally posted by blwngsket View Post
              Don't know bud, but I think I'm gonna check mine. Thanks
              T
              Yeah, me too.
              Vacaville, Ca
              67 EB - D44, BB 9" (4:56's), front discs, Wristed arm, 5.5" + 2" BL, 37" MTR's on Hellcats, 302/NP435/D20, Bilsteins, Mastercraft Rubicons w/4pt's

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
                ..I am thinking that for whatever reason you got the one built on Friday ... Doug
                Personally I think it was probably built Monday Morning! I have one better check too. DAMN.
                Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

Well shit. I went out with some friends this evening, came home and I figured I'd do a puddle check. Sure enough there's a freaking brake fluid puddle under my Bronco again. A much smaller one though... There must be another fitting to tighten somewhere.
                  1970 Bronco
                  My build thread

Comment

my first one started leaking at about 3k miles from the same place, so I bought another one and now it started leaking yesterday at about 1k miles
                    except its leaking from the other end where the brake line comes out, I tightened it up and so far so good.

Comment

Working...
                    X