Well crap !!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well crap !!!!

Last weekend help my friend John (Stonepony) put his freashed up 351W together. Now mind you this is something I have not done for over 32 years and he has never done. OK motor together last Sun. just a few oods and ends to do over the week after work. John gets them done and on Fri. I go over to help set it in the Bronco few small set backs, but we get it in and start hooking stuff up.(he wanted to go wheeling today) around 11PM last night we stop. I get a call from him aroung 9AM asks if I want to go for a ride to wach some other friends wheel and off we go. We get back to town around 12PM and he said he would call me and let me know before he fired the motor. So I end up going to town with the wife.( wanted to work on my Bronco today OH well). Around 4 I get a text saying in about 1/2 will be fireing it up help the wife finish up some stuff we were working on and go over to his house all he had left to do we run plug wires and fire. Get that done and turn it over no start messed with timing got her running and she sounded great. kicked up the idle to break in the cam and sit back and listen runs for about 10 minutes and dies. John says must be out of gas run and get some gas try to restart no go. I said lets start at square 1. Pull #1 plug to make sure at TDC pull the cap and its at 180 out. Tell him to bump the motor over to make sure we are at comperession but rotor don't move. So we pull the dizzy and 1/2 the gears are missing so now we need to find out why.
    94 351/5.8
    DUI Dist.
    302 fireing order cam
    I did the magnet test to dist gear before and a magnet held to both dist.(stock & DUI) thinking the cam may be a roller cam and dist. is not. Your thoughts.
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Re: Well crap !!!!

You might have mismatched gears, steel and cast iron. They need to be the same material. If it us a roller cam and he's using a cast gear the cast dizzy gear will die.
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Efibroncoman View Post
      You might have mismatched gears, steel and cast iron. They need to be the same material. If it us a roller cam and he's using a cast gear the cast dizzy gear will die.
      But how do you tell steel vs cast
      After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Brian, I looked onto the Crane Cam, DUI Distributor and the Summit web sites. It looks like I need to run either a bronze gear or a poly gear. It says that certain steel and cast gears are for roller cams, but the bronze and poly gears are for roller cams using high volume oil pumps. The DUI web site recommends the use of the bronze gear for use with the high volume pump. I'm going to call Summit's tech line on Monday to make sure. I'll talk to you about it tomorrow...

Comment

Originally posted by Stone Pony View Post
          Brian, I looked onto the Crane Cam, DUI Distributor and the Summit web sites. It looks like I need to run either a bronze gear or a poly gear. It says that certain steel and cast gears are for roller cams, but the bronze and poly gears are for roller cams using high volume oil pumps. The DUI web site recommends the use of the bronze gear for use with the high volume pump. I'm going to call Summit's tech line on Monday to make sure. I'll talk to you about it tomorrow...
          Bronze wears out to fast and the Poly will last longer but more $$ from what I have read on thr web.

Comment

Cast and steel look almost identical. Bronze is really soft and intended for racing where it will be checked often. Your best bet is to just change the gear to whatever matches your cam to be on the safe side. MSD sells both steel and cast gears and if you take the Summit Racing Price to Kragen they will usually match it, so you can save on shipping as well.
            SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Check this out...according to Jegs, I shouldn't of had a problem. It says the cam is compatible with cast gears (which it look like they were). Like I said, I think I'll wait for the tech guys who I'm sure will know more than me... In the words of Forrest Gump, "I'm not a smart man."

http://www.jegs.com/i/Crane/270/364211/10002/-1

Comment

Call Crane cams and see what they say. Oh ooops.

Comment

Maybe you just had a little piece of crap in the gear or the gear was cracked.
                  Hopefully all the chunks are in the pan.

Comment

Working...
                  X