Stone Crucher???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stone Crucher???

I'm about to drill out the holes in the knuckles to accept the 3/4 inch stone crusher steering on the FW....BUT I just got cold feet and thought before I wreck this piece of metal and have to buy(uuggh more money) new ones why don't I ask around and see if this is a worthy system. I have searched some old posts and found possitive things about this steering but just have to ask myself before drilling???????? Old topic, new poster. I'll buy a round of beers for the redundency.
    sigpic68' 351W ,Nothing stock except transfer case:

Re: Stone Crucher???

It is absolutely worthy. I built mine a lone time ago and lone before these were available in a kit form. Drill up from the bottom and use the taper in your favor as it will help you ease into the drilling. Use a large hole shooter type drill if you have one and use the leverage handle attachment.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

You think it's necessary to ream it or will a drill suffice? Maybe I should wait until I get the parts here before drilling that way I could measure and make a dertermination about clearance then

Comment

Just drill them. dont over think it. I have it on mine and the kid is building his now.Works great!! $150 for hiems & 1 1/2" x.250 DOM. and some 3/4" #8 bolts... Pops
        72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
        BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
        RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

From the 200 or so miles I've driven my rig with my heim steering setup, I love it. The steering response is so much more precise than it was with ball joints. The steering is almost too crisp - you bump the wheel, you're turning. I have the BCB heim steering kit which is similar to the Stone Crusher setup except the tube is tapped for the heims rather than a threaded bung welded in.

My dad is the only other person who's driven my rig since reconstruction and he too was amazed at the steering responsiveness for a rig lifted 5.5" with 37" tires...
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

Excellent good feedback. Done deal... TBSPOPS I over think everything I'm a former tool and die maker. I'm used to dealing with tenths of a thousands of an inch. But good point just do it and shut the f*&@ up attitude... I like it.....

Comment

Working...
            X