D44 .. What is this bracket for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D44 .. What is this bracket for?

About three years ago before the fever really took hold, I found this nice D44 with 4:11 open and disc brakes. I bought it and now finally I am getting ready to toss the D30 on my grey EB and stick this in. In preperation I found a couple of weird things:
    1st thing, welded just below the track bar mount is this weird looking bracket. WTFITF?
    2nd thing, the track bar mount does not look like the ones on my other three EB's.
    3rd thing, when I true up the discs, the distance across the steering knuckle holes is 50.5". All my other EB's measure about 48". WTF?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Spaceburger; 04-04-2009, 11:44 PM.
    Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Re: D44 .. What is this bracket for?

the guy I bought it from had a custom 4X4 shop in way north Sac (can't remeber name of shop) and built the D44 and did a good job. 4:11 gears looked real nice.
    Another question? Do the u-joints look like the weak stock ones?
    Attached Files

Comment

the bracket below the track bar mount is a swap bar bracket and looking at the knuckles that looks like a 76-77 D44 as the knuckle mounts for the tie rod are a bit wider than earlier models.
      1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

Originally posted by kwspony View Post
        the bracket below the track bar mount is a swap bar bracket and looking at the knuckles that looks like a 76-77 D44 as the knuckle mounts for the tie rod are a bit wider than earlier models.
        I think he means "sway bar bracket" found on 76-77 D44... I guess the coffee has not kicked in yet kwspony...
        2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
        1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
        2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Yup, it's a sway bar mounting bracket. Cut it off.

Comment

today is a slow day. even with 2 cups of coffee
            1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

Yup!! X3 on the sway bar bkt. You have to remember that 76-77's that came with discs had different knuckles than earlier EB's.. steering arms cast in different places and so on.. will all interchange,but different...
              72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
              BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
              RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Yep, have installed a few of the stock sway bars in the past. The square holes in the radius arms are for the carriage bolts for the other end of the sway bar. The welds on that bracket suck to so never use it to tie down. I used those one time to pull a rig onto a trailer and it popped clean off.
                “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Thanks guys, bracket will be gone. Gezz I am so tempted to get a limited slip or locker in there. Tempting. I am trying to convince myself that I will just throw this into the Grey Bronco and make it for this summer 80/20 street /trail rig until I can build up the Orange Crush (which is now painted all white).
                  Any opinion on those u-joints?

Comment

1. Got the sway bar bracket off with one hit from a sledge.
                    2. Found the breather hole is tapped 7/16-20 which is the thread for all 1/4" (-4) AN/JIC 37 flare O-ring seal filttings. Happen to have those avaialble, now to mount the break lines.
                    3. I need to replace the Trac Bar Bolt. Suggestions?
                    4. Need suggestions on the right tool needed to pull the steering tie rods off. I tried heat and pounding..no good.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Get the Trac bar riser from WH for starters on that bolt.

I went the way of the Quad breather bellows for my vent lines on the diffs. Search pirate for this quick and easy alternative to vent lines.

Comment

I want to install an Aussie Locker in this thing. Where can I go and pick one up?

Comment

Working...
                        X