Headlight upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight upgrade?

This weekend's project was to wire a bunch of my accessories to relays, including the headlights. Now that I've got my headlights drawing power via big relays straight off the battery (via my under hood auxiliary fuse box with overkill BIG wires), I want to run higher power headlights.

Running through the relays, I gained over 1/2 volt at the headlight connector, and while that does not sound like much, it made a noticeable difference in the light output from my existing headlights - but now that my headlight switch is only triggering my relays, it won't fry when I connect up some higer-wattage bulbs.

SO.... Here's a question to the masses: Without spending an arm and a leg on the H4 headlights that some of the vendors sell - what are the best replacement headlights you can buy off the shelf? I am looking for the brightest (street legal) headlights that I can run. I have no doubt my upgraded wiring can handle whatever bulb I can fit in the stock grill...

TIA
    -Tony
    Last edited by CityHick; 03-29-2009, 06:05 PM.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: Headlight upgrade?

I am running IPF replacement H4 round Glass with IPF 85w (not legal) bulbs. Adjusted a bit low they are really bright but not blinding to oncoming traffic. The pattern of the IPF glass is really cool too, on the left side of the road the pattern is really flat but on the passengers side it goes up at maybe a 45-60 degree angle really lighting up the shoulders. The IPF bulbs have a cool yet gimmicky glow ring around the bulb. When you turn off you lights at night the headlamps glow blue for about a half hour or so. IPF is usually distributed thru ARB dealers.

Although not legal, I have never been pulled over for these or flashed by oncomming traffic.

Justin
    1969 EB, 88 Speed density EFI 302, HP D44 front w/ARB, Radius arm long arm, NP435, D20, D60 w/power lock rear, 4link rear with 4" stretch, Front and rear bumpers made by me.

Comment

All I can say is I love my Hella H4's. I got them in trade for the stock headlights that were in my bronco. Still not sure why my buddy asked if I wanted to trade. Took him over two years to actually sell that cruiser. When I went to relays, I went from 8V to 14V at the lights. You think yours got brighter, mine were about as bright as parking lights before the upgrade. Got to love 30 year old wiring.
      Not sure if you are interested, but if you use a scotch lock on the wires right after the dimmer switch you can have both high and low beams on when you turn on your high beams. That is another big increase in lighting.
      Marc D.
      If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Originally posted by earlybronco72 View Post
        All I can say is I love my Hella H4's. I got them in trade for the stock headlights that were in my bronco. Still not sure why my buddy asked if I wanted to trade. Took him over two years to actually sell that cruiser. When I went to relays, I went from 8V to 14V at the lights. You think yours got brighter, mine were about as bright as parking lights before the upgrade. Got to love 30 year old wiring.
        Not sure if you are interested, but if you use a scotch lock on the wires right after the dimmer switch you can have both high and low beams on when you turn on your high beams. That is another big increase in lighting.
        no, did he say scotch lock? save those for the "free" stereo installers.scotch locks can make brand new wiring 30 years old. sorry it had to be said!
        6 jeeps 2a-cj5. bronco now. 70,efi 302,c4,ps,pb, 4.56's detroit's 2bl,4.5 rollin on 37's

Comment

Tony,
          I went with the IPFs from Wildhorses and couldn't be happier! Those things ROCK! I got the whole kit with relays because my wiring harness is stock. With your Taurus box in there you could probably just get the lights and call it good... They look stock until you turn those suckers on!!!

Fungus
          sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

Sylvania Xtravision Halogen. 55W low/ 65W hi. They are pretty bright for a stock replacement.
            1971 EB: 3.5" 4 link rear, wristed front, 2" body, 96 Explorer 5.0 EDIS EEC-IV, C6, Nissan PS, Hydroboost w/front disks, 4.88 9" w/spool, D44 w/ aussie locker, TRO, 37" MTRs

Comment

To do it like you're saying, with just off-the-shelf standard halogens, you're pretty much limited to a couple of common brands I think. The Xtravisions like Filgas mentioned, and the Silverstars come to mind. I've seen both in local auto parts stores. Probably other models too, but those are the ones that come to mind. Both would be pretty decent I would think. Never used either, but heard good things about them from other Bronco owners when compared to stock.
              Then there are just the "basic" replacement versions from the same companies. Still halogens, but with no special gas mixes or filiament metals. Better than stock, but the "upgrade" versions would be worth the few extra bucks I would think.
              Price should be decent either way. Although, some H4 replacements are not that hard to take either. Hella makes a DOT approved light that you can get for about $40 each. I can get the Euro spec versions (non DOT approved) for about $45 each. I'm guessing that the GE/Sylvanias run about $20 to $25 each? Is that about right Filgas?
              And not that it matters very often, but one good feature of a replaceable bulb type (such as the H4's) is that if you get a rock through the lens, they still work. If you go with a sealed-beam type like the Silverstars and such, a broken lens means a broken light. Just something else to add to the list.

Paul
              Last edited by DirtDonk; 04-03-2009, 09:42 PM.
              Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
              www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
              68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Working...
              X