Removing pilot bushing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing pilot bushing?

Does anybody have a good trick to remove a pilot bushing from the crankshaft? I imagine a small slide hammer would work........if I had one. Any other ideas that might work at home?

Re: Removing pilot bushing?

Use some bearing grease fill the hole then use a driver tool(something solid and round that fits into the bushing) and a hammer to push the pilot bushing out by hydraulics. Never done it but have heard it works.
    Have Truck, Trailer, and Bronco will travel

Jes L.

Comment

Yea what jess said. I tried to post the samething but i guess I pushed the wrong button and it didn't post.
      Jack
      73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

I've done it. It can be messy and if what you drive into the pilot bearing isn't a good fit your S O L . Find a parts house with a loaner program. What I did last time.
        1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

Originally posted by NORK2BG View Post
          Use some bearing grease fill the hole then use a driver tool(something solid and round that fits into the bushing) and a hammer to push the pilot bushing out by hydraulics. Never done it but have heard it works.
          Ditto... use a large bolt with electrical tape around it to make a good seal.

Messy.. Yeah, but it is cheap and it works!
          2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
          1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
          2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Bring it to Ukiah next weekend I have a small slide hammer with some pulling jaws
            Originally posted by TBS-POPS
            After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Ahhhhhhhhh, the ol' grease in the hole trick! LOL. Cool, thanks guys. I'll give it try tomorrow night.

Brian, thanks for the offer, but...ummm...I don't think I'll make it.

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
                Brian, thanks for the offer, but...ummm...I don't think I'll make it.
                I cook GOOD Tri-Tip
                Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Get a pilot bearing puller :P
                  They are under 10$.
                  The grease trick does work, I just hate cleaning it all up.
                  Mark Harris
                  71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Working...
                  X