5.0 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.0 swap

Hey just picked up a 96 5.0 complete needs a rebuild but for $150 who cares. This motor has the distributerless ignition complete with all wiring. Has anyone done this install? Wondering how difficult the wiring is compared to the distributor version.
    76, DuPont midori sour green, explorer 5.0, Mild built C4, D20, 1 ton steering, 44 w/soft locker 4:11, 9" w/locker, 4.5" lift, 1" NHL Bodylift, Duff front long arm's,4.5 WH front and rear, 35 toyo's, FloFit seats and other dodad's.

Most of us (that have EFI) run a dist type, check out this link for ALL the information you might need. And good score!
    www.fordfuelinjection.com
    Rick-
    68 Slightly modified
    67 LUBR once again
    61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Lars is the only one that I know of who has done this swap before. I take it that this motor came out of a 96 Explorer?

Comment

I would definitely run the early EEC IV ignition system on it. A distributor will fit with some minor modification of the brackets for the module to clear. The EEC IV is a much more simpler install.
        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Hello: yes the motor came out of a 96 explorer. I have everything except computer, fuse box and fan. Is it possiable to contact lars, Maybe email or this site for Q/A. I have emailed fordfuelinj for info. If its not to much drama it might be fun to do somthing a little different. I also have a line on a complete speed density system If this gets to complicated.
          76, DuPont midori sour green, explorer 5.0, Mild built C4, D20, 1 ton steering, 44 w/soft locker 4:11, 9" w/locker, 4.5" lift, 1" NHL Bodylift, Duff front long arm's,4.5 WH front and rear, 35 toyo's, FloFit seats and other dodad's.

Comment

You can send Lars an e-mail or a PM from this site. His screen name is "Lars". He was last on the site on 12/17/08, so he hasn't been on for a few weeks.

Forget about trying to contact Ford Fuel Injection. You will never hear back from anyone. Ryan makes a good product, but his customer service is the absolute worst that I ever encountered. It's an F-ing joke!

If you want to run the 96 Explorer motor as is, Lars is your best bet. He's a good guy.

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
              .....If you want to run the 96 Explorer motor as is, Lars is your best bet. He's a good guy.
              X2
              Brad
              Chico, Ca.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Rich contacted me by PM. I'm still thinking in terms of aluminum things with propellers, so I don't get over here too much, but I haven't forgotten about my beloved Bronco either. Among other things, it gets me to the hangar when the weather is crappy! In fact I drive it all the time, though it gets used for off-highway adventures far less than I'd like.

I can't completely keep my hands off my Bronco though. I'm currently messing with an upgrade to the Explorer power steering pump, which I'll report on if/when that is successful.
                1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
                I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Try Ron Morris Performance. He Does Alot Of Conversions.
                  75 302 c4 marlin crawler 20 44&9" 4.56 arb's 35"mtrs

Comment

Re: 5.0 swap

Ok after exchanging email with lars and reading CB OBD2 thread by Dave the distributorless idea was a little grand. looks like I will take lars and Daves advise and use an eec-IV with dizzy and get this thing up in a timely mannor. This was suposed to be a simple paint job over the winter. Now I have paint, motor, building my own gas tank Might as well do some interior work.

Comment

Originally posted by Rlemon View Post
                      ...This was suposed to be a simple paint job over the winter. Now I have paint, motor, building my own gas tank Might as well do some interior work.
                      You fell into the same trap as I did! Careful... I'm not yet out of the woods 2+ years later!
                      Engine, trans, t-case, front axle, lift, gut the interior, repaint exterior, line interior, cage, seats, etc etc etc...
                      1970 Bronco
                      My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by Rlemon View Post
                        Ok after exchanging email with lars and reading CB OBD2 thread by Dave the distributorless idea was a little grand. looks like I will take lars and Daves advise and use an eec-IV with dizzy and get this thing up in a timely mannor. This was suposed to be a simple paint job over the winter. Now I have paint, motor, building my own gas tank Might as well do some interior work.
                        Keep us posted on your progress and let us know if you run into any problems or you have any questions.

Comment

Hey has anyone used the ebay wire harness service. states that you send in a factory harness and they rework it for 200. I will most likely go with the rjm but just wondering if it is any good.
                          Last edited by Rlemon; 01-05-2009, 08:30 PM.

Comment

$200 won't replace all the hard connectors and mod the harness. i used the rjm and it is nice.the connectors get pricey quick.
                            6 jeeps 2a-cj5. bronco now. 70,efi 302,c4,ps,pb, 4.56's detroit's 2bl,4.5 rollin on 37's

Comment

When I did my EFI install, I had two donor harnesses, both came out of cars with 100K + miles on them and all the connectors were crispy critters. After seeing how much all the connectors and several yards of new wire would cost I justified the extra cost of the RJM harness for a trouble-free install. I'm glad I did, almost everything else came off of junkyard cars, but troubleshooting a broken wire or worn connector on the side of the road would be no fun at all.
                              SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Working...
                              X