Painless wiring info...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painless wiring info...

I have always been a Centech wiring fan. Install was never too difficult. However, I just purchased the new Painless Kit from WH. I haven't installed it yet, but it appears that it has the Centech beat. Almost all of the connectors are pre-installed for you and it has a higher quality wire (GPT), while the Centech has it only in a few places, as well as a nice 14 cir fuse block.

It is a nice kit. I will take some photos of the install. It is going in a complete resto mod rig that is coming to an end soon...I hope.
    Last edited by Delta 4 Wheel; 04-06-2005, 08:49 PM.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Hey Carl, where on Hammer is your shop? I visit my sister every once in awhile and I could stop buy.
    1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

Hammer lane and Tam O'Shanter. In the repair complex with Firestone and Big O tires...stop by. I am there most days after 2 or so...
      “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

The harnass install is going well. I really like this harnass...I have pics going. I'll post them soon..

Comment

Delta glad to hear the install is going well. I understand you have a EFI. If you were carburated (like I am) and you were going to go EFI down the road would this harness work well if you installed it before going EFI or would I cause myself more headaches?
          Second question, alittle off the subject but, how do you like your gearing? I have the same 435, D20 with 3:15 and 4:88's and I am trying to decide max tire size. I want 40" MTR's (basically the same as your 39.5's) but I am wondering if it will move slow enough on the technical stuff? Thanks for the help. FM
          72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
          1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

Stupid me, I got the universal painless kit. Most of it was ok but get under the dash, even though they get a bit into Ford etc still not deep enough like the GM kit that it really is. Kinda been stumped on headlight and turnsignal colors to match up from the Ford switches.

But as far as the rest of the truck, I run a C4 with stock D20 gearing and 4.88s with 38.5 Boggers coming late this week. I hope this will be suitable to my terrain. More mud than rock but I have my eye on places NO ONE else has been with a truck, much less a dirt bike. Cant wait til I do the rear coiled three link to tackle it.

Comment

Here some updated pics of the Painless install...
              Attached Files

Comment

. If you were carburated (like I am) and you were going to go EFI down the road would this harness work well if you installed it before going EFI or would I cause myself more headaches?

Let me answer your question. It will make no differance in installing your EFI harness down the road. The EFI harness only should use a full time power and a start up power (acc)and one or two others. But the more I think about it yes it would be easier with the new wiring already installed since you will be able to find the correct wires to hook it into. So if your current wiring is not so hot I would say fix it now before you have any real problems.

As far as painless goes they have great kits and well thought out products. I have installed a few dozen of them in all kinds of vehicals. The only problem I have had is with my current 71 chevy SBPU, I installed a 93 LT1 vett motor and their harness had a few problems and plugs that were not where they should be. But I would use them again in a heart beat.
                Kevin.
                71 EB 56K original miles stock for now!

73 EB/rock buggy 351W EFI, Art Car C-4 manual VB w/ comp braking, 37 MTR's, 4-Link F&R, Fox Air 16", Full Hydro and now it runs!

51 F1 PU with MII front end, T-Bird IRS

70 C10 SWB, 92 LT1 vett motor, 700R4, power everything, great driving street rig.

Comment

Originally posted by Familyman
                  Delta glad to hear the install is going well. I understand you have a EFI. If you were carburated (like I am) and you were going to go EFI down the road would this harness work well if you installed it before going EFI or would I cause myself more headaches?
                  Second question, alittle off the subject but, how do you like your gearing? I have the same 435, D20 with 3:15 and 4:88's and I am trying to decide max tire size. I want 40" MTR's (basically the same as your 39.5's) but I am wondering if it will move slow enough on the technical stuff? Thanks for the help. FM
                  WOW...I didn't even see this question here...glanced right over it. I definitely agree with Kevin here. The EFI harnass is a stand alone unit that will hook up to your battery and starter solinoid. Feel free to install EFI or the painless kit whenever you are ready.

Comment

Delta thanks for the wiring answer, now the second part of my question, please?

What did you break in your t-case? Another question would you go to a HD output shaft immediately with the combo I described or can I get by without that for now? Thanks FM

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.

Comment

I blew up the low gear and the intermediate gears...

I have the HD output because mine broke when my BC spring rocker blew apart sending my axle backwards on one side, binding the driveline..thus breaking the output. BC Chuck paid for my upgrade...

I would say that you will eventually need an HD OP. However, if you are not heavy footed, and don't plan on larger than 35" tires, youd be fine. I was fime with 38's, geard and locked for 2 years on the Con and Fordyce. However, I would venture to say you should replace it as you are going with 40's and plan on the harder runs. Besides, before you know it you'll be on the Hammers!! It is a relatively cheap upgrade. I can build you one, you can build your own (skills?), or Wild Horses sells a complete bolt on kit made from aluminum with no core charge. I would strongly suggest building your own as it is always good to know what you have and how to work on it!! Hope this helps...

Comment

Thanks Delta.

Comment

Working...
                        X