No announcement yet.

Dana 60 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These seems a little backwards to take the weak part of a 9" and weak part of a 60 and put them together, but you will end up with something signifigently stronger than a stock or 31 spline 9". I have always wanted to build a 9" center with D60-70 or 14 bolt outers, although I think it is extremely difficult to get a 5 x 5.5" pattern with such a large hub. I know a lot of people build HP D60 centers with 9" outers for a fairly inexpensive HP rear.
    When you cut it down I would make it slightly wider than a stock EB rear. You need custom axles anyway so a odd length won't change anything. The bronco rear ends are a few inches narrower than the front especially if you swapped in GM disc brakes. If it were me I would match the WMS of the front to the rear, sorry I don't know that measurement.
    69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

The D60 sounds like a good deal to me, especially if your running the 4.10 ratio. I would just add a mini spool, spool, or weld the spider gears if it's 35 spline. Weld the torino ends (about $100 pair) on with alignment bar, by a pro for $100. Buy some chromo 35 spline shafts with tappered roller bearings ($450). Add the junkyard Explorer disk redrilled for 5 on 5.5 (junkyard and more machining cost). Done!

Steve, not sure what would be weak here? The semifloat with tappered roller bearings get a bad rap (IMO) from the old sealed style bearings. Although I did have a buddy loose a bearing going up the four lane and almost loose the axle, but you can't loose the axle if your running disk brakes.

Also, the higher and longer snout on the D60 is a bonus. My only real negative for this setup is weight. 1/2" thick tubes and the massive chunk.
      Thanks,
      Brian Wickert
      Hanford, CA 93230

Comment

The weak point of the Dana 60 rear is the ends. Mainly because you have to hog them out to run 35 spline axles.
        The crappy part of a 9 inch is the aftermarket case to run 35 spline axles.
        Removing those 2 crappy part and gluing the better parts together is a great way to get a cost effective 5 lug 35 spline rear axle.
        Mark Harris
        71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Cost effective is my goal here, i will run a spool with 35 spline axles, this has 30 spline axles in it now. i found new Torino ends for 79 bucks from Solid axle industries, currie will cut me 35 spline axles for 179 each, i plan on looking for explorer brakes from the junk yard, or maybe buying the summit racing explorer brake kit.
          EFI 5.0, NP 435, 5.5 WH lift, Duff Arms, HP 44 front, 37" MTR's

Comment

So i have called a couple of gear shops around my area, and most places want 250-300 labor to cut and weld in my bearing ends with an allignment bar. 2-3 hours labor. i have a metal cutting chop saw i suppose i can use that to cut a little labor time down, and cut it myself. does 2-3 hours sound rite?

Seems to me it wouldnt take more than 1-1.5 hours really, i just hate paying ppl to do stuff lol, i am a heavy equipment mechanic and a certified welder but i dont have an allignment bar.
            EFI 5.0, NP 435, 5.5 WH lift, Duff Arms, HP 44 front, 37" MTR's

Comment

I know I pimp this guy, but his prices and quality are awesome. Miles at Valley Differentials in Stockton. Tell him Carl from Delta 4x4 sent you.
              “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Originally posted by KingOf_Pain View Post
                Steve, not sure what would be weak here? The semifloat with tappered roller bearings get a bad rap (IMO) from the old sealed style bearings. Although I did have a buddy loose a bearing going up the four lane and almost loose the axle, but you can't loose the axle if your running disk brakes.....
                Well like I said it is defintly stronger than a typical 9", I just feel that a 9" has a stronger ring and pinion and housing and that full floating axles are stronger then semifloating axles. I don't think it is a bad idea to do it this way and defintly much less money than building a 9" with D70 or 14bolt FF outers. Plus you keep the 5 x 5.5" wheels.
                69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Originally posted by KingOf_Pain View Post
                  The semifloat with tappered roller bearings get a bad rap (IMO) from the old sealed style bearings. Although I did have a buddy loose a bearing going up the four lane and almost loose the axle, but you can't loose the axle if your running disk brakes.
                  I thought this was why bronco's had such low fenders in the back from the factory, to keep the axle from sliding out

Comment

35 spline axles

I would look at the axles bigjhoov has for sale ( page 1 ) I think the are down to $350.00 +shipping Here and on CB that would make the build cheper on the pocket book

Brian
                    Last edited by Bronco Brian; 02-26-2008, 09:22 PM. Reason: added more info
                    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                    After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

I can't remember his name, but a vendor on pirates sold alinement bars.
                      About 200 ish IIRC.
                      Me and my friends had one, not sure where it went off to.
                      Mark Harris
                      71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Re: Dana 60 question

I would call Welderbilt if you still need this done. Resonable pricing and excellent quality.
                        69 bronco, 72 bronco, 66 vert stang

Comment

Re: Dana 60 question

Originally posted by brocbronc View Post
                          I would call Welderbilt if you still need this done. Resonable pricing and excellent quality.
                          You do realize that you responded to a 13 month old dead thread dont you???
                          72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                          BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                          RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Working...
                          X