Holley Sniper experts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holley Sniper experts?

I am having a hell of a time with a weird issue on the Bronco.

Built 302, Flat tappet rv cam, Edelbrock Aluminum heads and intake. Runs great, starts easy, idles right at 750. The issue I have been seeing is always around the follow scenario. Drive at a constant throttle down the road, come to a stop, clutch in/neutral and it dies. Half the time it starts up right away, half the time it takes 30 seconds of cranking to start.

Any have any ideas where to start? I am brand new to after market fuel injection.
    1973 Bronco Ranger - 302, C4, Dana 20, Dana 44 front, 9 inch rear, 3.55 gears, 35" MTR's on Allied Beadlocks, 3.5" Wild Horses lift

I don't have an answer... I had a Hell of a time with a Sniper install and dealing with Holley during Covid. Swore I would never use them again.

Having said all that, Skip (70 Steed) has a guy that did tuning for him that seems to know these units. I suggest reaching out to him...

Doug
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
      I don't have an answer... I had a Hell of a time with a Sniper install and dealing with Holley during Covid. Swore I would never use them again.

Having said all that, Skip (70 Steed) has a guy that did tuning for him that seems to know these units. I suggest reaching out to him...

Doug
      I can understand that one. Their tech support is a joke. I am about ready to rip it off and put an edelbrock system on this thing

I will reach out to him and see if they can help. Thanks Doug!
      1973 Bronco Ranger - 302, C4, Dana 20, Dana 44 front, 9 inch rear, 3.55 gears, 35" MTR's on Allied Beadlocks, 3.5" Wild Horses lift

Comment

I’m no expert but I’ll chime in. Here are a couple of resources:

1. The Holley Sniper forum: https://forums.holley.com/forum/holley-efi/sniper-efi
        This is a pretty well known problem. If you search there will be threads about it. I haven’t researched it because thankfully I haven’t had this problem. My buddy has though.

2. The guy that Doug is referring to is Richard fastmanefi.com. I did use him to set up the initial tune. At the time (2019) he charged $300 if he tuned it remotely. You have to have a laptop running Windows 10 and high speed internet. I have neither. For $500 plus expenses he will drive to your location. He is located in Sonora so it wasn’t bad. He tuned mine and my buddy’s Sniper for that price.

I would suggest trying option 1 first. There are some guys on that forum who are very knowledgeable. Sometimes they suggest doing a data log when you are having the problem and sending it to them.

Keep us posted on the problem and the resolution.

There are a couple of other well known problems that Holley doesn’t seem to know about.

1. The Sniper doesn’t return to idle when you let off the throttle. This is because the primary butterfly rubs on the throttle body just enough to not return to idle. I had this problem. The fix is to either try to loosen the screws that hold the butterfly on the shaft and move it slightly. The other fix is to take a very slight amount of material off the butterfly so it will clear.

2. The crappy pin connectors that connect the injectors to the ecu come loose and the injector either works intermittently or not at all. Holley supposedly fixed this problem a year or so ago so if your Sniper is newer you won’t have this problem. Unfortunately I just had this problem. The guys over on the Sniper forum fix it by (believe it or not) zip tying the connector together. That’s what I did and it seems to be running fine.

Comment

I have a friend In the Sacramento area that has installed and tuned three or four of them. He runs it on his bronco. He loves it. Let me know if you want me to reach out to him.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips guys. Spent a ton of time on the Holley Forums. Figured out how to datalog, read it and modify things to a point.

Talked to Richard at fastmanefi.com and he suggested checking for vacuum leaks and the PCV valve before loading any new tunes in there. I checked all my vacuum hoses and replaced the PCV valve and boom. Runs even better and does not stall when letting off the throttle. I'm guessing that PCV valve that was on the motor was seized and that was causing my issue.

Comment

Working...
            X