Garage unwanted gas smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage unwanted gas smell

Got the Bronco up and running, but have noticed a gas smell lingering in the garage. It was doing this with the other carb also. I remember reading something once about using a charcoal canister to trap the fumes, used in EFI and smog applications I believe. Where could I source one, and where would it be plumbed and mounted? Any other solutions besides Tesla?
    Thanks!
    68 Slightly modified
    67 LUBR once again
    61 Willy Wagon

Park outside......
    73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

Thanks Capt Obvious
      68 Slightly modified
      67 LUBR once again
      61 Willy Wagon

Comment

I am not much help other than to say that a long time ago I went to the junkyard and found some random charcoal canister from a 1990s era Ford, plumbed the gas tank vent line into it and mounted it under the hood. It helped.
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

I went to my local junk yard and pulled one of a car. I don't remember what car it was, but they are usually located on the passenger side frame rail in the engine compartment. I used it to run my gas tank vent line to and I believe there was something coming from the engine that ran to it too with a purge valve inline. I had no gas smell in the garage.

Comment

Rick,

I have posted about this fix numerous times in Classic, if you feel like searching?

As Patrick said above, 87-93 Ford Mustang CC, (you can get it new from Rockauto) They used this style CC on may Ford products in this era of production. Plumbed a few ways...
            Vent line to the CC small port from the gas tank. (Don't remember if you have stock or aftermarket) Mount the CC in the Pass side of the engine compartment just like they did on the 76-77 models. The two large ports have some "mushroom caps" that you can pick up from some 70's Ford products.
            That's kind of the 1st step, sometimes that is enough the stop the smell. Next step is to run a line to your air intake, so that when you are driving down the road, the negative pressure created as the air comes into the air cleaner purges the CC. Since I do EFI, I plumb in the Canister purge circuit and use it to do the same...

I have waaay over simplified it, but if you have more questions, reach out. Doug
            Attached Files
            2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
            1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
            2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Got the jest of it, thanks guys!
              Great pic Doug! Have an Aero main tank
              RockAuto here I come…Done
              68 Slightly modified
              67 LUBR once again
              61 Willy Wagon

Comment