Best Wiring harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Wiring harness

So after parking my jalopy next to some really nice Bronco's on Saturday. I've decided it's time to start chipping away at cleaning up some things that i've wanted to do for years.

#1 on the list is Wiring.

What's the best kit out there. Here is what i've gleaned from a couple days of reading

Painless - Best all inclusive kit. Expensive but seems worth it
    American Auto Wiring - Seems like this is almost as good as Painless with high quality connectors, etc.
    Centech - Best bang for the buck but can be more work than Painless or AAW

I'm not worried about cost, right around 800 to 1,200 is decent. I want something that I will never have to mess with again but has expansion capabilities too for lights, compressor and whatever else.

What's everyone's experiences?
    1973 Bronco Ranger - 302, C4, Dana 20, Dana 44 front, 9 inch rear, 3.55 gears, 35" MTR's on Allied Beadlocks, 3.5" Wild Horses lift

That will also be my next project........
    73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

I have done a few Painless kits and I've been very impressed with the kit. I always get the kit with all new switches. I just want everything to be new. Good Luck!

Comment

From what I have seen of Painless, I think they are probably the best in terms of the fuse block. I don't personally care for the Centech kit; unless things have changed, their fuse block is a circuit board with fuse holders surface-soldered to it. While it doesn't seem to be a problem (people keep buying their kits) I feel this is not a great way to build a vehicle wiring harness. Painless uses what's basically an OEM GM block and includes very high quality wire. I would very likely choose Painless if I were to do it again.

With regards to expansion - I would not plan on many of the off the shelf harnesses providing exactly what you want. It is very easy to build your own auxiliary harness for your accessories using components from Blue Sea Systems and others. it's not difficult to pull power from the battery to an aux fuse block, build your own relay block, etc.

Unless you are concerned with replacing all of your dash controls, a generic non-specific harness will suit you well.
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

Working...
        X