• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering bump

Click image for larger version

Name:	CAF93541-5A37-4DEE-80CD-D01D8593D10A.jpeg
Views:	279
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	317047 I have a little back and forth play while driving down the road. When the vehicle is parked I can turn the steering shaft by hand side to side every so slight, maybe a 1/4in, in either direction. It does not appear to move anything past the steering box. The tie rod ends are new and there is no play in the linkage.

-new tie rod ends
    -4x4x2 box built from junkyard parts
    -new collapsible shaft

Maybe I’m overthinking, but it seems like it should be tighter. The vehicle drives straight, just bump steers a bit when hitting potholes or bumps in the road. I was looking at possibly adding a steering stabilizer.
    1970 Bronco 302 np435 3.5 lift 33s disc brakes ford 9 w Yukon locker

looks like the track bar can go up 1 hole to alien better....maybe...but also looks like out of adjustment so may push front a little to the passenger side...
    73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bronco pitman arm.jpg Views:	0 Size:	185.8 KB ID:	317050 I have pretty much the same set up and have no bump steer but it does wander a bit....I need to work on my toe a little
      73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

A few ideas:
        "Y link" steering will always have a dead spot on center because even with perfect tie rod ends, the whole tie rod can roll a few degrees when you steer back and forth. There are two solutions:
        1. Install a band aid "Cure" like the one Ruff Stuff sells, I have used it and it definitely helps with the steering feel, doesn't help keep the TREs greased though: https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/R1768.html
        2. Change your steering to true cross-over, it will eliminate the dead spot problem but it makes the drag link longer which will cause more bump steer problems unless you address that problem also.

Regarding your bump steer:
        If your drag link and track bar aren't the same length you need to have the shorter one be slightly flatter than the long one. It won't eliminate your bump steer but it will make the side to side movement of the axle (controlled by the track bar) be similar to the movement of the drag link for small bumps. Large bumps will be a problem...

Steering stabilizers: If bump steer or death wobble are concerns consider putting the steering stabilizer between the axle and tie rod instead of between the drag link and frame, it will help keep the relationship between the axle and knuckles the same regardless of what the frame/body are doing. It will also provide a negative feedback loop for death wobble instead of a positive one....

There is a reason modern solid axle trucks with coil springs run cross-over steering with the stabilizer between the axle and tie rod.
        Build thread

Comment

Originally posted by jperry1290 View Post
          It does not appear to move anything past the steering box.
          Careful with this one.
          if you have slop in your steering wheel that's not being seen in the steering box, adjust the sector shaft / worm gear. A little turn up or down is a LOT.
          At 1/4 inch, I wouldn't worry. The 4x4x2 box is a 70's/80's part. It's not as tight as modern day steering.

QUOTE=jperry1290;n317046]
          I was looking at possibly adding a steering stabilizer.[/QUOTE]
          You shouldn't need a stabilizer. Those just mask a bad steering setup
          {o===o}
          Originally posted by TBS-POPS
          EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
          Originally posted by CityHick
          I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

I finally got a chance to crawl under the bronco and take a look. With my son turning the wheel I could see a little slop where the drag link connects to the pitman arm.

Comment

Start with replacing that and following it.
              {o===o}
              Originally posted by TBS-POPS
              EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
              Originally posted by CityHick
              I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

The bottom of the steering literally fell out. Why did this happen, is the worm gear and box ok?
                Attached Files

Comment

The sector shaft is still in the box in your picture. I see what might be the lower seal having popped out, and that would have made an oily mess, but if the sector shaft has fallen out with the pitman arm and they are both just hanging there on the draglink (this is not what your picture shows) then the box is fubar'ed and needs new parts.

Double check and if that's a seal, press it back in or better yet get a new one.

Paul
                  Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                  www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                  68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Apologies for thinking it was the sector shaft. I initially saw the seal sticking out and since I never dealt with this issue I assumed the sector shaft had broken. It was indeed just the PS box seal. I replaced them with new ones and so far no leak. Thank you

Comment

Working...
                    X