explorer dress question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• explorer dress question

does anyone have any good pictures of the explorer front dress on a 351? Im trying to figure steering pump orientation (with a saginaw) and where the tensioner will sit. Im running a sniper now so want to pare down the pullies and accessories as much as possible. Only need alt, steering pump and water pump. How pared down can they be?

If it would help, I can take some. I have a 351W bolted in with Explorer front dress installed, still no radiator or fan so things are fairly easy to see. I am running a complete Explorer setup including power steering pump, a/c compressor, etc if it matters.
    1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
    I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

yes please lars.

what did you use for crank pulley? What year motor did you convert? Im trying to convert a serp set up to the explorer stuff. I beleive I need to swap dampers as there are no other options? I cant seem to find all the old info that was floating around.

Im curious if I can use the timing cover I have and just swap water pumps, damper, explorer alt/tensionor bracket and a wildhorses pump bracket for a saginaw.
      Last edited by plug ugly; 04-26-2021, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by plug ugly View Post
          yes please lars.

what did you use for crank pulley? What year motor did you convert? Im trying to convert a serp set up to the explorer stuff. I beleive I need to swap dampers as there are no other options? I cant seem to find all the old info that was floating around.

Im curious if I can use the timing cover I have and just swap water pumps, damper, explorer alt/tensionor bracket and a wildhorses pump bracket for a saginaw.
          Harmonic balancer I have is a rebalanced stock Explorer 5.0 part from Damper Dudes in Anderson, just south of Redding. Explorer 5.0's, like all 5.0/302 engines since the late 80's are 50 oz-in imbalance motors. All 351W's ever made plus older 302/289/260 motors are 28 oz-in, so you can't run the Explorer balancer on a 351W without getting it rebalanced. In my case my 408 stroker is internally balanced (zero imbalance) so I had the same problem. Called Damper Dudes, had a brand new part in a couple of days.

My engine is a late roller block from Blueprint Engines. All the Explorer stuff was a direct bolt on.

Explorer timing cover is unique to the Explorer front dress and you also need an Explorer water pump since it's the only thing that fits.

I'll get pix tonight.

Comment

EPB72, thanks. Is that the WH 2029 bracket?

Comment

No not the 2029....It's the 7129 bracket .with this bracket you can get a second bracket for mounting an AC compressor above the power steering pump you have two choices one that will mount an sanden sd7 compressor if you want to run air OR a bracket for a york compressor if your ever considering on board AIR.......I got mine dirctly from the guy that makes them he sells them through EBAY when i find his contact info i'll post that as well..

Home (thebroncoguy.com) this is where i got mine from was shipped next day after ordered

Ed.
              Last edited by EPB72; 04-27-2021, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Some pix of mine.

Comment

Mine is OEM stock Explorer 5.0 except it's on a 351W. Before the 351W I was running an Explorer 5.0 using a Sanden AC compressor for OBA. Since AC stopped being optional for me I needed a different source of air. Rather than trying to stuff two AC compressors onto the front dress I opted for an electric pump for air.

Comment

Lars, is that your new engine in your bronco? I have always wondered about how the AC compressor would fit with the inner fender on a 351w, based on your pictures it looks like it fits just fine?
                    Build thread

Comment

Originally posted by pippinmader View Post
                      Lars, is that your new engine in your bronco? I have always wondered about how the AC compressor would fit with the inner fender on a 351w, based on your pictures it looks like it fits just fine?
                      they fit fine with stock explorer set up ,but easier to R&R compressor and bracket as an assembly once removed then seperate them..

Comment

Pippin, what EPB72 said. The OEM compressor fit fine. To make install easier, since I have no problems drilling more holes in my Bronco, was to punch some big holes in the inner fenderwell to access the two lower bolts. The uppers are easy. And plenty of room for the install despite the additional deck height.

Comment

Working...
                        X