Camber adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camber adjustment

So I broke an outer axle stub shaft and have it all apart to fix that, thinking of making some camber adjustments. Does anyone have any experience with that? I have a custom built front axle housing (9" center, Dana 44 outers). I noticed that it looks sort of funny, the front wheels are in quite a bit at the top. I read the stock speck is 1.5 degrees from the factor, but that was because these trucks come with bias ply tires and roads used to be more crowned than they are now.

I measured mine two ways (using the level app on my phone and with a level and calipers). Drivers side is about negative 1.5-1.6 degrees, the passengers side is negative 0.5-0.6 degrees. This is a curry built housing, so I am a little surprised it is so far off. Does anyone have any idea what the ideal camber should be? I looked up modern vehicles (2004 superduty) and they run positive 0.25 degrees of camber, (-0.75+1.25). I am thinking of using this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mev-ms50061?rrec=true bushing to make it as close to 0 degrees as possible. Ideas?

Build thread

I used those same camber bushing in mine years ago. They work great, however I don't remember what I set mine to.

Comment

I have always set mine to as close to zero as I could.
      {o===o}
      Originally posted by TBS-POPS
      EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
      Originally posted by CityHick
      I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Ok, ordered the parts. When I re-measured after putting on the Reid knuckles it looks like 1.5 degrees on both sides is the way to go! Thanks Patrick and Ryan!
        Build thread

Comment

Did you get the parts? Did you put them in? I'm just curious how it turned out?

Comment

Got the camber adjustment bushings. They are a little tricky to install because as you rotate them around the knuckle hits the inner C. Also got the bushings and all the parts to rebuild CTM u-joints. That guy Jack from CTM is super solid. Looks like the camber adjustment has helped a lot, not quite a the way to 0, but close. After looking closely the previous camber setup definitely was wearing the inside of my tires.
            Attached Files
            Build thread

Comment

Good deal. I remember rebuilding my CTM's from time to time. Not too hard, just takes time. I used to grease mine before almost every trip just to make sure. Those camber shims should help a lot!

Comment

Working...
              X