Hing Plates / Post Pillar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hing Plates / Post Pillar

So I went to temp hang doors on the bronco yesterday, of coarse i didn't have the original screws so i ran to the hardware store and picked up a handful of the allen head screws (just like original but allen instead of phillips). got back to the shop. figured for good measure i would run all the screws in just to make sure the threads were all cleaned up and nothing wrong. I rand the screws in all seated well except one that was being difficult. I ran a thread chaser in an and out a few times, ran the bolt in all the way to the head by finger tight. i bolted up the hinge and wouldn't you know it that one bolt hole somehow got fubar'd anyways. and yes before you ask it was the right thread, I am thinking that maybe because the bolts were rusted in so tightly that when i removed the screws finally, maybe some of the threads came with it. or i just jacked it the F up when i tightened the screw last night.

the question is now, I see that the hinge plate is available from WH but how do you install it? has anyone replaced JUST this hinge plate thingy? can you give me any pointers? or should i just replace the whole hinge pillar/post portion?

Better to find out the screw plate is jacked up now rather than when it was all painted and trying to put it all back together.

any advice would be welcomed. assuming that WH doesnt close over this CV19 crap i will be ordering parts tomorrow or tuesday.

thanks

-Izzy

See my post about the door pillar work. I fought the backing plates years ago and hacked into the pillars to fix the plates. Now fast forward to today and I am looking at replacing at least one door pillar. I have so much more extra work now because I need to remove my roll cage, repaint parts, and spend more time doing something I should have done long ago.
    1970 Bronco 302 np435 3.5 lift 33s disc brakes ford 9 w Yukon locker

Comment

I ordered 2 piece driver door pillar this morning. Extra work but whatever.... Right?

-Izzy

Comment

Originally posted by Izzy_Britton View Post
        I ordered 2 piece driver door pillar this morning. Extra work but whatever.... Right?

-Izzy
        The two piece is the way to go. I tried the one piece and didn't like the fit....don't be afraid to weld it lots of welds and deep heat, I think I welded mine at 4.5 and 50 on a miller matic 135 using .024 wire. The weld through primer needs some heat, check your penetration maybe start at 3.5 and work your way up. Good luck.
        Brad
        Chico, Ca.

Comment

I ordered 2 piece because I am gong to route a piece of conduit between the 2 pieces before I weld it all shut to add a clean place for for door jamb wires in case I needed them later. Thinking about doing the passenger side same way since I have is that far apart already.

Comment

Working...
          X