Cam Shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam Shaft

My motor has had a LONG 15 years on my rebuilt motor.

I tore the cam shaft out this past week and need to replace it.

I would like to go back to what I had because it was a pretty good cam, but I dont know anything else.
    https://www.compcams.com/high-energy...d-221-302.html

I have also been stumbling around thinking of swaping to a 351 or a newer 5.0 cam so I would be able to run a 5.0 FI setup when I finally throw my fitech in the garbage can.

So my question is, before i pull the trigger and buy a new comp cam with lifters, how would a 5.0 cam work in my 71 302? Is it just buy new spark plug wires and run them to different spark plugs?
    {o===o}
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
    Originally posted by CityHick
    I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Pretty much. Or are you thinking of going full roller on the cam too?
    If just a flat tappet with the 5.0/5.8 firing order, then that's all you do. Change #'s 5,4 and 3,7 for each other and done. Don't even need new wires if your old ones are still good.
    Then when you go Ford EFI you're all set with the correct firing order for the injectors.

Paul
    Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
    www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
    68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

what about my harmonic balancer?
      do i need to swap to a 50oz?
      Last edited by 71BRONCO71; 03-22-2020, 08:02 PM.
      {o===o}
      EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
        what about my harmonic balancer?
        do i need to swap to a 50oz?
        To change a cam, no. Remember it is the spinning internals that are balanced, rotating mass. Cam just spins in a circle.
        2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
        1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
        2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Sweet! Then if this is the case, I'm going to order my cam for a 351

Same grind as before.
          {o===o}

Comment

I may end up doing the same as I have most parts for ford efi........Let us know what cam you pick...
            Jack
            73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

I am running the Comp Cam high energy now and they make the exact same grind for the 351
              Part number SK35-216-3

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...BoCIwkQAvD_BwE

I just called comp and they price matched summit and gave me free shipping.
              Hopefully I can get it soon, I'm sure my neighbors are going to love the cam break in.
              {o===o}

Comment

Don't like the fitech ?

Comment

I think when I go EFI I gonna go Sniper. The name Holley goes a long way,

Comment

Originally posted by PhantomEB View Post
                    I think when I go EFI I gonna go Sniper. The name Holley goes a long way,
                    I have Bronco buddies that are running FiTech. Some have had problems others have not. However I’ve heard that FiTech tech support has gotten really bad. I have another buddy that is running the Sniper and had no problems. Based on that I got a Sniper for my Blueprint Bronco Editions engine. I’m also running the Holley Hyperspark system. The Hyperspark works with the Sniper and the ECU controls the timing. You can literally change timing on the fly (not that you would need to).

So far zero problems once I got it dialed in.

Comment

I'm not a fan of the throttle bod . Fitech looks and feels like a college seniors school project. The finish is terrible.
                      the sniper has the Holley name and the finish is better but it's still a throttle body.

I'm going to give the fitech one last try and start to collect the mustang 5.0 parts. That way in a few years I can bolt it together and have FI not TB.
                      {o===o}

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
                        I'm not a fan of the throttle bod . Fitech looks and feels like a college seniors school project. The finish is terrible.
                        the sniper has the Holley name and the finish is better but it's still a throttle body.

I'm going to give the fitech one last try and start to collect the mustang 5.0 parts. That way in a few years I can bolt it together and have FI not TB.
                        Let me know when your ready Ryan, I have Mustang stuff that needs a home.... Doug (No harness or ECU, but everything else)
                        2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                        1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                        2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post

Let me know when your ready Ryan, I have Mustang stuff that needs a home.... Doug (No harness or ECU, but everything else)
                          I should have done the 5.0 swap a long time ago.
                          {o===o}

Comment

I should of my self.....I have most of the 5.0 stuff.....I just ordered a Holley sniper with all the ignition stuff to go with it.....I will give it a try and see what happens...lol

Comment

Working...
                            X