Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Axel clips on chevy stub shafts, which grove?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axel clips on chevy stub shafts, which grove?

I've got the chevy disk conversion and now have new superior stub shafts that are chevy too. The ends of the stub shafts have 3 groves for the retaining clips. The kits come with 2 clips each side. I pulled on the outer shaft and the inner most grove is just past the end of the spindle. Does one go there? Which of the 2 other groves gets a retainer? Thanks

the grooves are for different applications. The outer if for chevy conversion and the inner is for stock brakes. These are different because of the spindle depth changes between the stock spindle and the chevy spindle. When you do a chevy conversion, most of the time we just drill and tap the end of the axle and use a bolt and a washer to keep the axle from going in to far. This is because the hub is pushed out in relation to the axle stub and the clip no longer fits. You need the axle to keep from moving in too far but you still need some movement as the wheels turn lock to lock. If you pull the shaft out all the way and the clip barely fits on, I'd use the next in line. Turn lock to lock to make sure it doesn't pull to tight. If I recall correctly, with the wheels straight you will have about 1/4 inches of back and forth movement. Just jeep in mind, I have seen people run for years with no clips at all. Just make sure you don't limit the movement by installing the clip in the inner ring if there is no room.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Let me get this straight. Check out my thinking here.

The most outer notch is for the chevy spindles, the next one in is for the ford spindles, what about the 3rd spot (the deepest) that sticks out almost even with the end of the chevy spindle. Maybe when I get after it tonight it will all make sense to me.

Crawlin' 68 - if you got nothing better to do, come by tonight after 6:45 and you can a cold one on the house.

Comment

I am not too sure which one is the right one (between the inner and middle) on your axles. Just install the hub and rotor, install the locking hub and reach behind the knuckle and push the axle forward till it stops. Look to see which groove will take the clip with just a little bit of back and forth axle movement to spare.
        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Do you have the thrust washer on the back of the spindle? My Yukon Chevy stubs barely make it out enough to get the clip on the last groove.
          69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Yes, thrust washer is on. I'll see what happens tonight.

Comment

Working...
            X