Oil leak, of the big smoke kind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leak, of the big smoke kind

When I took off for a club meeting the other night I notice that when I backed off the gas, or got on it a HUGE amount of smoke would fill the cab (no boots) and piss off the cars behind me. Once I got home I checked underneath and there is oil everywhere! and puddles where it dripped off.
    So, two things come to mind, dipsick tube to block (kinda loose), or I didnt seal the flywheel bolts (hoping thats its the first) anything else? the lower never came off, I tore out the running 5.0 and stuck it in. Going to work on it tonight
    Rick-
    68 Slightly modified
    67 LUBR once again
    61 Willy Wagon

i dont have a 5.0 but my old oil leaked like crazy from the dipstick
    {o===o}
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
    Originally posted by CityHick
    I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Ryan, I could handle just a 'leak'
      68 Slightly modified
      67 LUBR once again
      61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Have you checked the PCV system? Mine (302, not 5.0) had a clogged PCV and spewed oil everywhere.

Comment

Well looks like I got lucky the flywheel is dry, and the oil 'spatter' is only on the drivers side of the engine, indicating the suspect dipsick tube (unless I'm missing something else). Didnt know a 5.0 withh it's sealed system could spew that much oil. Now I just need to find a way to seal it up better
          68 Slightly modified
          67 LUBR once again
          61 Willy Wagon

Comment

the 5.0 dipstick tube is threaded right?? what about some teflon tape??
            {o===o}
            Originally posted by TBS-POPS
            EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
            Originally posted by CityHick
            I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

I had the same thing happen to mine, it was the breather hose and the PCV valve stuck shut. I fixed them and they are all ok now.
              1974EB 302v8, NP435, dana 20 twinstick, dana 44, 9 inch Detriot Locker's, 4.88 gears, front disk, Rockbox, wild horses 4.5 inch lift, 4 wheel Warn Full Floater, 35 Super Swamp Bogers.

Comment

Ryan, nope not threaded, goes into the block, press fit.
                Randy, new PCV, but I will check it again, thanks!
                68 Slightly modified
                67 LUBR once again
                61 Willy Wagon

Comment

What about the sending unit? I broke a sending unit before and it spewed a ton of oil.

Comment

Oil pan gasket maybe? My stock 5.0 dip stick (press fit into the block) was so loose I could pull it out with my hand very easy. I ordered a Locar dip stick from Summit an dit is a very nice piece and sealed up nice and tight.

Comment

Patrick, pretty sure it was the dipsick tube, got it to seal better and will check it out on a good drive today. Could you give me # of the tube you purchased? would rather put a better piece in
                      Rick-
                      PS the muffler is great!
                      68 Slightly modified
                      67 LUBR once again
                      61 Willy Wagon

Comment

The first time I had the Oil changed on mine the guy left the rubber gasket from the old filter. I was smoking like a Messerschmitt, oil on the wind screen and everything. Got it home and I thought they had busted the oil sending unit or the extension; replaced both of those with no luck. Finally had my wife start it up while I watched. I was amazed at the amount of oil that was spraying.

Never overlook the stupid stuff.

Brad
                        Brad
                        Chico, Ca.

Comment

Working...
                        X