Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube Door Advise.

Looking for some help.. questions...
    Got my tube doors almost done..(Latch and Backing Diamond Plate)

1. I want to place Diamond plate as a removable backing to my tube doors.. do I place it on the lower half of the door or the whole door? What do ya think?

2. Latch.... I have a set of door latches from another Bronco.. Big and bulky..
    i was wondering if there is any other kind of Clip/rubber gromet that might work instead?

If someone can photoshop the pics with 1/2 and 1/2 fill in.. for me.. ON THE BRONCO that would be cool.

Thank you

Aaron
    Attached Files
    KK6DAD
    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

I would do to the top of the rails
    Brian
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

I'm a no door at all kinda guy, its probably a military thing. cause if it rolls out because i didn't secure it, i probably didn't want it all that bad. but for all intensive purposes I would only do the bottom. And those look super clean by the way, nice job.
      72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

like this, or even if you took it all the way to the rocker panel ya know.
        Attached Files
        72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

2. Latch.... I have a set of door latches from another Bronco.. Big and bulky..
          Aaron I wouldn't use some clip rubber gromet type hinge and latch system. Several of my friends have made tube doors and the overwhelming majority that have tried to fab their own hinge or latch system usually have it failing when least desired. Usually when the rig is flexed up and the body wants to move alittle and that causes a door to pop open. The ones that use a stock type hinge and latch seem to work the best and have the least amount of failures. Just my .02.

FM <><

Otherwise do the lower. Sweet doors bro
          72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
          1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

Half plate.

All plate.

I kind of like this version.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tykesplace

LOL! Now I like that one too! That's funny!

X2 on what FM said about using the stock latches. That is the reason that used stock EB latches on mine. I wanted a good strong positive latch that I knew wasn't going to fly open at the wrong time. I've seen other peoples tube doors come open on the trail and it is usually when they are in a bad spot and certainly don't need to be dealing that at that moment. I like the plate on the bottom of the door. They look great!

Comment

Originally posted by tykesplace
                Half plate.

All plate.

Thanks. That's what I needed.. Now just need to decide which one to do.
                Aaron
                KK6DAD
                70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Do them both. Make the sheet metal in 2 pieces with the quick connects on both independantly, that way you could run one, or both depending on weather or your mood...or you can run the third one my brother suggested...
                  “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Personally I like the second one.

Comment

Like you Aaron, I'm looking for the less bulky yet functional latch, no luck yet. I like the lower only being covered, simple. If you cover upper and lower might as well run doors appearance wise. My little .02

Rick-
                      68 Slightly modified
                      67 LUBR once again
                      61 Willy Wagon

Comment

For latches sometimes if you think outside the box some, it helps. One really good and strong latch are "Seat Belt Buckles". I don't know how (without looking) to do the install but they would work for sure-- somehow some way. I used them for years on a Tilt Front End on my 56 F-100. Another really cool latch are Electric trunk Latches. These would take a lot of thought but there is just gotta be a way. There also are the "Bear Claw" latches these are OK and easly found in Hot Rods, they might be a little bulky though. There are severeal different designs of these Bear Claws however and maybe one would work.

Gunny
                        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to slide in broadside, worn out and throughly used up shouting "WOW" what a ride.

Comment

OOOH good idea, never thought about the BearClaws, Gunny!

Comment

I had thought about a 1" thick piece of rubber that I could cut a C into.. Or a hole with a slit..

First pic is the rubber idea..
                            Second is with the door post/striker..
                            Aaron
                            Attached Files
                            KK6DAD
                            70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

I looked at that too but want a more substantial latch to help hold me in when I flop
                              68 Slightly modified
                              67 LUBR once again
                              61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Working...
                              X