Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bronco purchase: smog/emissions concerns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bronco purchase: smog/emissions concerns?

Looking to buy a Bronco, living in California should I lean towards a 1975 or earlier because of smog requirements? I like the 76 and 77's but not sure if there are red flags to be aware of due to smog regulations. Any feedback would be appreciated

Re: Bronco purchase: smog/emissions concerns?

IMO you should definetly be looking at 1975 or earlier. Most of the 76 and 77's have had the smog equipment removed. Trying to find the original smog parts to make it pass smog is very difficult and expensive.

Comment

Thanks Steed,
      The 76 and 77 Broncos I'm considering all have smog equipment in place. With smog in place is it true I would not be able to "soop" up the engine ie bore out, headers, etc and still pass smog?

Comment

The 76 and 77 smog issues are why I stayed away from them when I was looking for a bronco. From what I hear, any modifications will cause you to fail the smog inspection. All vacuum lines have to be in placeAnd I don’t think you could put headers on them. There is a visual inspection. And an emissions test On the older vehicles.
        Good luck.
        Karl

Comment

Broncos did not come with headers or dual exhaust... Single with a single Cat. All smog equipment must be in place and functional for Cal emissions or Federal emissions.

From someone who has been through the hoops, if you do not have the mechanical back round to do it yourself then don't buy it. As 70 steed said the old parts are nearly impossible to find and command good $$.

Life will be easier with 75 and earlier. No biannual smog needed, like a 76 - 77.
          2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
          1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
          2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

This might be a wordy response, but as a former owner of a 76, I thought I'd give my 2 cents.

I originally wanted a 76 because it came stock with power disc brakes, power steering and wasn't going to be kluged from multiple previous owners who may or may not have known what they were doing. I wanted a safe EB that my family could ride around in on the weekends and do a little off-roading from time to time. After 3 years I sold it because I was 'stuck' in terms of engine mods as it has to pass visual. You can get headers but that’s about it. You really can't do anything that would substantially increase HP.

There's a ton of smog stuff on the 76/77- smog pump (i still don’t know what that thing did), all these vacuum lines and canisters and crap that just complicate your life. I had to have the engine rebuilt and the only thing I could do was boring it a little over and having it balanced. That was it. If you want to fix it up you will mostly be limited to interior work and non-engine related mechanical stuff.

After 3 years I sold the 76 and got a 71 because I grew tired of not being able to touch the engine. For context, I'm not a hard core off-roader that needed a lot of HP/Torque and I was still bored with it. When it comes to working on cars, I'm more of a "bolt turner". Maybe someone with more knowledge could get more out of it, but I think they stay away from the 76 and 77 too.

But that said there are some pros and cons, depending on what you want to do with it. I sold my 76 to a family who was giving it to their 16 year old daughter as her first car and what it had under the hood is all she would ever need.

For the below let’s assume you are going to drive it on the street and need to pass smog legitimately:

Pros of a 76:
            It comes stock with a lot of things earlier broncos did not - discs in front, PS, PB, some even have AC
            The exhaust doesn’t smell. All that extra crap on there actually does a good job of scrubbing the exhaust so you burn cleaner and don’t smell unburnt fuel and hydrocarbons.
            Easy to drive. My 76 was an automatic and the wife loved to drive it. Just shift to D and go. She actually drove it more than me. She refuses to drive the 71 because it is a manual and she says it stinks.
            Might be cheaper to buy as they are less desirable in CA
            Might be a little cheaper to own as you won’t be spending thousands of dollars on engine mods

Cons
            Weak on HP. I think they are around 176 HP and there's not much more you can get out of it and stay smog legal.
            Have to pay for smog tests and your heart pounds every time you go down to get one over whether you will pass or not.
            If something on the emission system breaks it could be difficult to repair.
            Harder to work on for even simple things as all that stuff under the hood gets in the way.

But regardless, a 76 is still and EB and they are all fun to own and find to drive. My family had a blast with it and was sad when i sold it.

Hope that helps.

-Curt

Comment

Working...
            X