Matching numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matching numbers

I would like to buy this 1975 Bronco, however, the current owner can't say for sure if it has the original engine, he believes it does. Is there a way to find out? I hear that the EBs may or may not have engine vins/numbers stamped on the engine. Does anyone know a way to tell? Thank you

Re: Matching numbers

No way to tell if it is the original engine, all you can do is make sure the engine casting dates and manufacturing date tags are close to but earlier than the build date of the Bronco.
    Last edited by House; 08-28-2018, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Thank you! How/where would I find the casting and manufacture date?

Comment

What House said. The casting numbers are typically found on the block down by the starter. You might need a mirror to see the whole number behind the starter. Then just Google the casting number to find out what the manufacture date is and if that casting number was ever originally put in a Bronco.

Comment

This is what the numbers look like.
          The big numbers are the casting number.
          The small numbers are the casting date.
          This particular block is a 1974 design (D4),
          cast on October 6, 1973 (3K6)
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks House! The owner is checking now.

Comment

Also, depending on year, there is either a metal engine code tag (<73) or a decal on the front of the passenger side valve cover (>72)
              that you can decode to figure out the build date, but that is really only for one that hasn't been torn apart and had the block replaced, etc.

Comment

Working...
              X