Rear Inner Fender Extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Inner Fender Extension

I want to rework my rear inner fenders for several reasons and would like your feedback. Currently I have stock inner fenders that have been modified for the Wild Horses shock hoops. I want to remove the shock hoops and shock hoop cover to put in a fold and tumble seat:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001894LAC...k21140-20&th=1
    At the same time, I want to extend the inner fender so my 37" tires won't rub. I would also like the ability to extend my wheel base and maybe go up to 40" tires some day. So I've got 2 options I'm looking at.
    Option 1 is to buy replacement inner fenders and extend them to make it look stock. But since I want to remove the shock hoop covers on the front part of the fender, I might need 4 inner fenders for the 2 sides. At Wild Horses, they sell 2 fenders for $120 plus tax($11)/shipping($90). So that would cost $442.
    Option 2 is to have a metal shop cut and bend custom inner fenders. I would use the design made by I think Helbnd? I don't know how much a shop would charge to do this. This design appears to be about an inch taller than a stock inner fender and possible an inch wider which would put a squeeze on the seat.
    For those that went the custom way, why did you do it, vs getting stock inners and extending them? Am I correct that the custom design is taller? If you did the custom fender, how much did it cost? I'm sure metal prices have gone up since. If anyone has any other pics please post them up.
    Thanks!
    Bronco Fender REV 1.pdfClick image for larger version

Name:	Finish%20welded%20wells%20%284%29%20%28Small%29.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	289019Click image for larger version

Name:	SonicDonkey172.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	388.5 KB
ID:	289020Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6466.jpg
Size:	418.4 KB
ID:	289021Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6467.jpg
Size:	381.0 KB
ID:	289022Click image for larger version

Name:	20160119_150734_zpsxsgxejdm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	289023Click image for larger version

Name:	20160123_163431_zpss7mx9pze.jpg
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	289024Click image for larger version

Name:	20160131_222644_resized_1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	396.3 KB
ID:	289025Click image for larger version

Name:	20160417_221130_zpstwwyio4w.jpg
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	289026
    Kyle
    Aptos
    1967 EB, 5.8, AOD, Stak 5.22, 37's, Dana44/9" w/ARBs 5.13s, 3.5" WH SL, 2" BL, 4wheel disc hydroboost, wristed.

Re: Rear Inner Fender Extension

I installed the Helbnd1 custom inner fenders and just trimmed them to fit to the similar height and width as stock.
    The PDF drawing you have is the one I had done. Its from a contractor I used on a project, they redrew the hand sketches Dave previously did in CAD.
    Can't really speak of cost as they traded some work for me.

I went this route because of the same situation you are in. I had the extreme WH rear hoops, wanted to remove them for a back seat, and extend the wheel wells for my 42s.
    Not sure how often you come up this way but you could probably send the sketch over to S&K in Sacramento for a quick price.

Comment

I think I am going the Hlbnd1 one way with boxes to extend into the box for my coil buckets and shock towers. Seems to be the nicest way so far.

Comment

looks really good. I went with the stock inner fender extensions people have done in the past and went all the way to the tailgate stake pocket. I can 40's all day now. It was really smart for you to brace the body before cutting... I didn't and the top of the rails likes to lean in.

Idle hands equates to wild horses getting my money

Comment

Kyle,
          The custom fenders can be cut down to how you want them to fit. Just make sure the length is what you want before having them made. I paid $165 for the fenders to be made and they provided the metal. That's lasercut and broke. There was no real reason why I went with this design besides it looks bad ass. The stock look will look great also. Its all preference. Also depending on your wheel backspacing , width of tire, travel, and full width axles, you can actually move your wells out a little to get more floor sqft.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170806_153750.jpg
Size:	461.5 KB
ID:	275834
          Last edited by Rockbronco67; 08-22-2018, 09:55 AM.

Comment

What gauge metal did you go with? 16 gauge? I will call around to some shops and get some quotes.
            Thanks
            Kyle
            Aptos
            1967 EB, 5.8, AOD, Stak 5.22, 37's, Dana44/9" w/ARBs 5.13s, 3.5" WH SL, 2" BL, 4wheel disc hydroboost, wristed.

Comment

When I did mine years and years ago, I picked up one used rear fender. I cut my stock fender and welded in a center piece of the donor fender. Super easy and cheap! And it retains the stock look.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0606.JPG
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	275835Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0508.JPG
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	275836

Comment

i will admit that the custom fenders do look bad ass. Also, you can customize them more for stuff like arm rests.
                Idle hands equates to wild horses getting my money

Comment

Working...
                X