Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sacramento area Machine shop and Transmission shop recommendations

Looking for some recommendations.

Need a machine shop to do a complete rebuild and assembly on my 351W.

Also looking for a transmission shop to rebuild my NV3550 tranny and Dana 20 transfer case.

Preferably somewhere in the greater Sacramento area.

Thanks
    Last edited by AJ Snakes; 08-14-2018, 07:57 PM.

Re: Sacramento area Machine shop and Transmission shop recommendations

i tried going to motor machine, and they had some major attitude. I was under the gun at the time due to time constraints, and found Prentice Automotive in Rancho. Really liked them despite the area and appearance. Not sure what they will do for a tranny or tcase.

i started a very similar thread titled very similariy if you search
    Last edited by plug ugly; 08-17-2018, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Is it cost effective to rebuild an engine these days or just buy a crate motor?
      1970 Bronco 302 np435 3.5 lift 33s disc brakes ford 9 w Yukon locker

Comment

It can swing either way I think. With the right deal on a brand new one, you could score yourself some decent savings and maybe even get a warranty.
        But doing some of the work yourself, and not add too many custom features or goodies, you can still come in under $3000 for a full rebuild.

Depending on the area and expertise of a shop (and how proud they are of that aspect), and just how much needs to be done to a block and heads, I can see a wide range of prices being possible. From a bare minimum of about $1300 or so, to easily cutting into the $3500 altitudes.
        The more assembly the shop does, the more it costs. The more you want to update, the more it costs. I was shocked at just how much a new roller cam kit costs! Easily $1000 with lifters and such. Luckily flat-tappet cams are still very viable and much less expensive.
        Of course, the "good old days" of $89 cam kits from SuperShops are long gone unfortunately! Oh well...

So basically, when contemplating this, start trolling the want ads, craigslists, etc for a good deal on a full crate engine. I've never trusted buying a rebuilt engine from someone, even the shop that supposedly did the work. I know good deals on good engines can be had that way, but I've heard plenty of horror stories as well. If buying on the "used" market, I say stick with new. As in legit "crate motor" stuff.
        Ford Racing and Summit and Jegs and all the usual suspects often have good deals of course, but craigslist or the classifieds on the Ford sites are likely to net you the best deal I would think.

Good luck!

Paul
        Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
        www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
        68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Originally posted by AJ Snakes View Post
          Also looking for a transmission shop to rebuild my NV3550 tranny and Dana 20 transfer case.

Preferably somewhere in the greater Sacramento area.
          Older post so you might have already found a place, but in case anyone else needs transmission work done in Sacramento area, I was referred to this shop by a buddy of mine who is very particular with everything.

http://www.manualtransca.com/

They did an excellent job last year rebuilding my NP435, and the turn around time was great.

Comment

X2 on MTW they just rebuilt my 3550 for 850$ turnaround was 5 days.

Originally posted by albino View Post
            Older post so you might have already found a place, but in case anyone else needs transmission work done in Sacramento area, I was referred to this shop by a buddy of mine who is very particular with everything.

http://www.manualtransca.com/

They did an excellent job last year rebuilding my NP435, and the turn around time was great.

Comment

Working...
            X