Twin stick Dana 20 J shift - cutting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin stick Dana 20 J shift - cutting

I am finally getting around to installing my Toms Bronco parts twin stick. Got my old j-shift out, removed the front drive shaft to get easier access at cutting the shift rails. Went to town with a sawzall and a good metal blade and promptly went right thru the blade without making a dent in the shift rail. Got another blade and went much MUCH slower this time. Was able to get about 1/4” before the blade was toast again.

Anyone have any other ideas on how to cut the rails? Or should I just man up and take the t-case out to get it done?
    1973 Bronco Ranger - 302, C4, Dana 20, Dana 44 front, 9 inch rear, 3.55 gears, 35" MTR's on Allied Beadlocks, 3.5" Wild Horses lift

Re: Twin stick Dana 20 J shift - cutting

Well mine was out when I did it on my 77...
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

I used a 4 1/2" grinder with a cut off wheel while in my Bronco........
      73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

Originally posted by Action View Post
        I used a 4 1/2" grinder with a cut off wheel while in my Bronco........
        I tried getting my grinder up there. I might have to take another look at it.
        1973 Bronco Ranger - 302, C4, Dana 20, Dana 44 front, 9 inch rear, 3.55 gears, 35" MTR's on Allied Beadlocks, 3.5" Wild Horses lift

Comment

Sounds like its time to make a bigger hole in the tranny hump
          Attached Files
          {o===o}
          Originally posted by TBS-POPS
          EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
          Originally posted by CityHick
          I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Not on this Bronco. I'd pull the t-case out before I did that. I have a column shift auto and and the floors are in great shape. No sense in cutting it up if I can avoid it.

I grabbed some 4" cut off wheels for my old makita 4" grinder and some cut off wheels for my dremel at Lowes today going to try that and see if I can get it done. If that doesn't work, i'm going to put the floor jack under the t-case and pull the crossmember. I should have all the room I need if I pull the cross member out.

Comment

Well you know how memory's are......I know I used a cut off wheel......Im sure I did it from the bottom but could be wrong.....You almost need a hole like ryans to install the twin sticks.......
              Good luck
              73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

I was able to get it from the bottom with a 4.5” cut off wheel (and the guard off the grinder hahaha). Cut thru it like butter. It would have been way easier to cut the floor but since I still have carpet and the floors are on good shape I didn’t want to mess with it.

Now I have to find a good twin stick boot and finish it up. Thanks everyone!

Comment

Working...
                X