Drain c4 auto before removing d20?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain c4 auto before removing d20?

It's been awhile since I removed a d20. Do I need to drain the c4 before I remove the d20 from the adapter? What if I remove the adapter from the c4? I guess the real question is, is there tranny fluid in the adapter? I assume yes because it has the vent and is sealed with gaskets. There are some leaks I want to finally fix and will probably reseal the d20. Maybe remove the cold duck and install a low gear set.

Re: Drain c4 auto before removing d20?

Gil,

If you remove the D20 from the adapter, then there "should" be no tranny leakage... If you remove the adapter from the C4, then yes tranny fluid will come out...
    I don't believe a lot, since most is in the TQ converter and pan.
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Well that was a mess. I removed my D20/Cold Duck from the C4 adapter and had the Exxon Valdez on my garage floor. It was on the tranny jack and I was in the cab with a small pry bar to separate the Duck from the adapter through the hole in the tranny tunnel. Once they separated I heard that sound of fluid coming out. I jumped out but it was a like a crime scene with a huge red puddle on the floor. I was able to get a container under it to collect about half a quart. To make matters worse, the D20/Duck combo tilted over off the tranny jack as I was lowering it and the gear oil from the Duck spilled out. There isn't a drain plug in a Duck so I couldn't empty it beforehand. So then I had gear oil mixed with tranny fluid. I used a whole roll of paper towels. The garage still smells like gear oil/tranny fluid. I must be missing a seal or gasket between the adapter and C4.

Comment

Sorry to hear Gil...

Maybe Bronken will chime in since he just removed that set up in favor of an Atlas?
        2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
        1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
        2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

I always have a couple bags of cheap cat litter in the garage. I always seem to manage to spill more than I should when I'm changing oil or transmission fluid. hahaha

Cat litter, the old granule type, works great for getting trans fluid and gear oil out of the concrete. Spread it on thick, and let it sit for a day or two. You can sweep it around too and spread it back out. The house we moved into had a HUGE gear oil stain in the garage from the previous owners old F250. I spread cat litter on it, let it sit for a couple of days. Kept sweeping and move it around and now you can barely see it.
          1973 Bronco Ranger - 302, C4, Dana 20, Dana 44 front, 9 inch rear, 3.55 gears, 35" MTR's on Allied Beadlocks, 3.5" Wild Horses lift

Comment

Great trick. Worked great when my nephew pulled the dip tube out of my sons Amc javelin and the fluid went all over the street. Lol

Comment

The stock seal is a single lip seal, it always leaked. Most bronco houses sell a double lip to put back in the adapter.
              Mark Harris
              71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Working...
              X