Disk conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disk conversion

The way I do mine costs about $300 for all new parts and you keep yor drum spindles and everything. The best part is your disk slides on from the front making for real easy maintance. You use a jeep waggy or chevy backing plate, late modle bronco disk, 1/2 ton chevy caliper and flex line. The only hard part is you need to have your spindle turned down so the disk will slide over it. Other than that it is a bolt on set up.

Is this this the same as the " chevy set up" and if not has anyone here tried this doing it this way. I have done 6-12 eb's like this and it works on the rear axel as well with a little more work and a few shims. I havent heard of people doing it this way. Most always just say "chevy swap" is the only way to go. I am going to be swapping my new 71 over to disk because we found out last night as we started up to the lake we had no brakes so I figured now is a good time.
    So if this is not the chevy set up what is it and why is it so great?

Kevin
    71 EB 56K original miles stock for now!

73 EB/rock buggy 351W EFI, Art Car C-4 manual VB w/ comp braking, 37 MTR's, 4-Link F&R, Fox Air 16", Full Hydro and now it runs!

51 F1 PU with MII front end, T-Bird IRS

70 C10 SWB, 92 LT1 vett motor, 700R4, power everything, great driving street rig.

The Chevy conversion is great because all of the parts can be easily found. The spindles, calipers, brake lines and backing plates came on late 70's Chevy Dana 44s and the Hub and rotors are found on Ford applications including 76 and 77 EB's. The conversion is relatively cheap if you track your own parts down and buy the rest at Kregan. I got all my stuff from the junkyard except for the hub, rotor and caliper. I obviously kept the used caliper as a core. This is a direct bolt on kit with no machine work required. It seems that we are using the same parts, you are just keeping the spindle and making it work...

I'd like to see where you are machining the spindle. THis would save a few bucks as these are an expensive part of the kit..
    Last edited by Delta 4 Wheel; 05-29-2005, 10:31 PM.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Also the main thing I like over the stock 76-77 kit is my rotor's slide on from the front not pressed on from the rear like stock. Makes things alot easier for trail fix's/ brake jobs. You can have a rotor turned with out re-packing bearings and all that.
      Kevin
      71 EB 56K original miles stock for now!

73 EB/rock buggy 351W EFI, Art Car C-4 manual VB w/ comp braking, 37 MTR's, 4-Link F&R, Fox Air 16", Full Hydro and now it runs!

51 F1 PU with MII front end, T-Bird IRS

70 C10 SWB, 92 LT1 vett motor, 700R4, power everything, great driving street rig.

Comment

I would like to som pics if you possibly can get them.
        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Working...
        X