lift kit: track bar drop bracket vs track bar raise bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lift kit: track bar drop bracket vs track bar raise bracket

About to order the System G James Duff 3 1/2" lift kit. I have been told to do the track bar raise bracket over the drop bracket. I have already ordered the WH Chromoly adjustable trac bar. Whats the difference between the drop and raised bracket? It will mainly be a street machine with going off road every once in a while. About to order the lift kit and it comes with the drop bracket but have been told to go with the raised bracket instead so going to try and switch out the two when I order the lift kit. Also I dont have the money in the budget to get the extended radius arms, but duff has the adjustable radius arms drop bracket which I have been told to get if I am not getting extended radius arms. Is radius arm drop bracket something neccessary to get or any other route to go? Also seen the degreed radius arm bushings is this something that would help with the radius arm predicament? Also thinking about getting the rear leaf spring shims to decrease the angle on the driveshaft.
    This is my first early bronco build so All answers and opinions are really appreciated.
    Thanks
    Zach

Re: lift kit: track bar drop bracket vs track bar raise bracket

So many questions! one at a time...
    You want to raise the track bar on the axle, not lower it on the frame. The frame is not super strong and by lowering the trac bar mount point you are introducing a ton of torque to that spot as the lowered track bar mount is acting like a big lever. Most of the track bar risers that you will find are stout in construction and are welding to a beefier piece of steel (the axle tubes). The drop brackets are just asking for trouble. You have to realize the critical importance of the track bar - it centers your axle, but it also takes all steering force and transmits it back up to the frame.

3.5" suspension lift, especially for a street driven bronco does not require extended radius arms or radius arm drop brackets. You can just get degreed c-bushings and go about your merry way. You are not looking for travel and with 3.5" of lift, caster correction is easy enough.

Leaf spring shims will absolutely be needed unless you are going to cut your existing leaf spring mount plates and re-weld them back on to point your pinion farther up. You want your pinion to be angled up within a few degrees of your driveshaft angle. If you don't shim the leaf springs or re-index your mounts, your u-joints will hate you.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

First of all welcome to the Bronco addiction!
      I agree with CityHick on everything except the shims and driveshaft. I refuse to use shims based on past experience. They will get you by, but will fail eventually. Especially if you start wheeling. For the pinion angle I have found by angling the yoke slightly downward(1or2*), under torque it comes up to plane with the shaft. Check out the bottom of this link for a diagram. http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html
      Also I would highly recommend Wild Horses. Great customer service and they're here in Ca so you usually get your parts next day!
      Good luck with your build.
      Last edited by Holt75; 11-29-2014, 12:29 PM.
      '75 U-15 With a 427 Stroker, blue.
      '72 U-15 Wheeler/daily driver, green&silver.
      '66 U-13 Daily driver/wheeler-Sold
      Projects in waiting,
      '68 U-15 with a half cab
      '69 U-15 w/3.5" Duff lift, white.
      '69 U-15 w/Fox coil overs in front, blue.

Comment

and some more food for thought......

Jim and the boys from WH are the best in the game hands down buttttt..... I prefer duff/cage spring rates.

While a riser is better for strength, if your kit comes with a drop just run it. If your talking 90% street rig then strength isn't much of an issue. Plus it's not hard to just plate the frame.

Holt is on the money with a degree or 2 down. I've never had a problem with shims though. Once again we turn to application and on a street rig your not going to experiance weird off angle forces. Just make sure your u-bolts are tight.

It really doesn't take much effort to make a good riding street rig.
        72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

If you use the shims that bolt into your leaf pack you shouldn't have any problems.
          As mentioned no need for drop radius arm mounts with a 3.5" lift as long as you have 7degree c bushings.
          A track bar risers is better than then a drop bracket, but for street use and light wheeling a drop bracket is adequate. It can easily be changed down the road if you get more into wheeling.
          69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Sorry, I just realized the link didn't show what I wanted it to. Here a screen shot.
            Attached Files
            '75 U-15 With a 427 Stroker, blue.
            '72 U-15 Wheeler/daily driver, green&silver.
            '66 U-13 Daily driver/wheeler-Sold
            Projects in waiting,
            '68 U-15 with a half cab
            '69 U-15 w/3.5" Duff lift, white.
            '69 U-15 w/Fox coil overs in front, blue.

Comment

Working...
            X