rear axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear axle

Guess I need to prove the stock Bronco could keep up (or pass acouple of times) with thjeep I was running with. He had ARB F/R and atlas.
    What's the chances I started breaking splindes off the axle shaft? I seem to remember with rear up you can turn the tire and te other would spin oppisite instantly. Now I have to spin te pass side 1/4 turn before it catches and spins te drive line. The driver side is solid and engauges instantly. I thought my ebrake was hanging up but now I'm worried I have broken splinds floating around in te rear end. Should I pull the shaft to inspect? Or is there another way to check

Re: rear axle

Hard to say what locker is in it? mine was all new with a detroit and did the same thing

Comment

Originally posted by pipelayer View Post
      Hard to say what locker is in it? mine was all new with a detroit and did the same thing
      so was it the locker? Did you pull the 3rd member to determine the problem?

Comment

No every Detroit I have had did that's and its bin fine for a year

Comment

A Detroit can also give you that inconsistent rotational play between the two sides, but they would not let the opposite tire turn the opposite direction. That's almost always a sign of an open diff.
          Or a totally thrashed limited-slip I suppose.

A normally functioning LS or locker would usually turn the opposite tire in the same direction, and be noticeably hard to turn by hand. An open diff on the other hand is quite easy to turn one tire while watching the other spin backwards.

And I've never known one to give such a rhythmic cadence as I heard in your video Wade. Not unless there was some damage.

I say daylight's a wastin' Wade! Pull that sucker out and let's see what happened.
          Not that some play is a dire thing, but the noise you had and the fact that it's now different than it was before says that something's rotten in Denmark and you'd better find out now. Don't get lulled into a sense of ease. It's gonna take some work now, or it's gonna hurt more later.

Just sayin...

Paul
          Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
          www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
          68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Oh, and if it is a factory limited-slip, the driver's side is the one with the two sets of splines for the axle to slip through, so could be perfectly tight and if something happened to the other one it would certainly feel different.

Maybe axle splines, maybe side gears, maybe spider gears, maybe a tooth on the ring gear. Only one way to find out I suppose.

Did you try pulling the rear driveshaft off and driving it in 4wd on the front only? Maybe that would showcase some kind of difference between a driven aspect, vs a driving aspect.

Good luck.

Paul
            Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
            www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
            68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

I'm taking it apart this weekend. Jed (holt75) has graciously agreed to come by and diagnose!

I thought about the driveshaft test Paul. I'll do that. Thanks
              Last edited by Wade; 10-01-2014, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Pulled the drive shaft. No noise.

Comment

Most likely fractured the factory traction-lok hat section near the ring gear.

Usually when the case splits, the spider gear teeth will also break. You won't notice anything with the driveshaft disconnected.)

There's no shortage of billet covers available, and Ford had a couple of upgrade revisions during the life of the 9 inch.

It only takes an hour to pull the pumpkin and inspect it...

Comment

Not a good sign
                    Attached Files

Comment

Those look like teeth.
                      Marc D.
                      If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Spider/side gear teeth probably
                        SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Yes. Spider gear teeth. Time to upgrade.

Comment

Bitter sweet. Hey if ya do go 31 spline axles take a look at maybe doing rear discs. It's another $600 or so from WH, but much nicer! Just a thought, it's easy to spend other people's money!
                            '75 U-15 With a 427 Stroker, blue.
                            '72 U-15 Wheeler/daily driver, green&silver.
                            '66 U-13 Daily driver/wheeler-Sold
                            Projects in waiting,
                            '68 U-15 with a half cab
                            '69 U-15 w/3.5" Duff lift, white.
                            '69 U-15 w/Fox coil overs in front, blue.

Comment

Dropped it all off to Fearless Gear here in Fresno. All new Yukon gears with a Detroit, new Moser 31 spline with set 20. $1620 They are shooting to have it for me end of the day this Friday!....worst case Monday.

I'm happy. I'm glad Jed told my wife $2000 LOL

No discs

Comment

Working...
                              X