Factory Rim size Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory Rim size Question

I have been test fitting a Wheel Vintiques 15 " rim on the 68 Lubr.

It looks like my current factory rims are: 15", 5.5 wide rim, 3 3/8" center hole, with a 4 inch back spacing. Does this sound correct? (Who even knows if these are the actual wheels that came with the 68 from the factory)

The rim I am test fitting is: 15", 7" wide, with a 4.5" center hole, with 4 inch back spacing. It clears the Chevy disc brake conversion...
    I am wondering if the center hole really matters, other than appearance, since the wheels are stud centered not hub centered.

I am pretty sure that a 4.5" back spacing will work front and back.

I am looking for feedback on getting 10.5 x 31 BFG's AT's to fit on the uncut fenders.

Thx D.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 904Bronco; 09-24-2014, 07:07 PM.
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Re: Factory Rim size Question

Doug, not much help here, but my stock wheels have a 3 3/8" center hole and are really narrow. Not sure exactly how narrow. Are the blue wheels rivited together? Mine are.
    Attached Files
    Marc D.
    If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

I don't know anything about the stock wheels, but yes, they are lug centric so the only thing that matters with the center hole is its big enough to fit over the hub.
      Mark Harris
      71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

I did not look at how the rim is held together, I can check the spare...

I have looked at dozens of posts on Classic, no one really talks about rims or offsets. Just 2.5 lift, 1" body. Some even claim to mount 31" on the factory rims, which most of my tire shops decline to do.

Wheel Vintiques does not offer a 3 3/8 center with a 4.5 backspacing. They will make something custom, but raises the price from what Summit has. And adds 6 weeks to the delivery.

The price at Stockton wheel is prohibitive and word on the street regarding quality has not been positive.

I like the US Mag re-pop, but that is only a 3 3/4 back spacing and twice the money for WV steel rim...
        Last edited by 904Bronco; 09-25-2014, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by earlybronco72 View Post
          Doug, not much help here, but my stock wheels have a 3 3/8" center hole and are really narrow. Not sure exactly how narrow. Are the blue wheels rivited together? Mine are.
          They are welded...

Comment

My bronco has 3.5" lift, no body lift, 31x10.50R15 tires on 15x7 wheels with 4.5" backspacing. I have had this setup for a number of year now and never had the tire contact the body even with the suspension articulated. I have to say the rear tires are close to the lip on he rear quarter panel with the suspension flexee but not close enough to be a concern. The 4 inch back spacing may or may not be too shallow.
            '74 Ranger, Green, Uncut, 5.0 EFI, NV3550, 3.5" lift....

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
              ...Some even claim to mount 31" on the factory rims, which most of my tire shops decline to do.
              These days many (most?) of the major tire centers won't mount anything that's a "non-stock" size or one that's outside of the normal manufacturers recommendations. Too afraid, and probably rightly so in these litigious days. And at least some of the manufacturers have upped their rim width recommendations.
              Even BFG used to say right on their site that you could mount a 12.50 to an 8" wide wheel. Now they start at 8.5" instead, which means that some place like Wheel Works won't mount it to an 8" wide wheel anymore.

I bet there are still smaller shops that would still do it. Nothing at all wrong with going 4" wider on the tire than the rim. It's what was practically the norm a few years ago.
              10.50's on 6's, 11.50's on 7's, and 12.50's on 8's was a common sight. Mine are 11.50's on 7's.

I bet one of the Mexican shops like a Calderon Tire or similar would do it without batting an eye.

Paul
              Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
              www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
              68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

I measured a few wheels I have and they are 15 x 5-1/2 wide. Backspacing is 3-3/4". One is riveted and two are welded. One has a Ford stamp, one has a K/H stamp, and the third I couldn't make out, looks like K/M. The odd thing is the slot in all three are different.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the bigger center hole is so they will fit those other short wheel base rigs. (the ones that start with a j) The earlier ones have a 5x5 1/2 bolt pattern too and I think the front hub/drum assembly is why they're bigger.
                  '75 U-15 With a 427 Stroker, blue.
                  '72 U-15 Wheeler/daily driver, green&silver.
                  '66 U-13 Daily driver/wheeler-Sold
                  Projects in waiting,
                  '68 U-15 with a half cab
                  '69 U-15 w/3.5" Duff lift, white.
                  '69 U-15 w/Fox coil overs in front, blue.

Comment

I just mounted up 31x1050 red label grabbers on stock rims with 1" BL. The stance is great static so far, I havent cycled it all through but it is looking good so far.
                    Wheels are stock steelies, 15x5.5 2 piece. Some shops wont mount the wider tires, some will.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by PDXBronco; 10-06-2014, 02:49 PM.

Thats how I rub...I mean roll!

Comment

That looks awesome. I'm planning on a set of the res label 33X10.50's on a set of stock steelies for my bronco in the future. No lift, just cut fenders.
                      Originally posted by PDXBronco View Post
                      I just mounted up 31x1050 red label grabbers on stock rims with 1" BL. The stance is great static so far, I havent cycled it all through but it is looking good so far.
                      Wheels are stock steelies, 15x5.5 2 piece. Some shops wont mount the wider tires, some will.
                      Marc D.
                      If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Very Nice

I ordered 5 new ( just like I test fitted) steel rims. Going to have them painted WW and then install tires... I appreciated everyone's response... No one gave any feedback on Classic on the Lubr thread?

Comment

By the way is that paint Peacock Blue?

Comment

What are you doing with your stock wheels? I have a mix and would like to get a complete set.

Comment

Originally posted by gddyap View Post
                              What are you doing with your stock wheels? I have a mix and would like to get a complete set.
                              Gil,

Marc D. spoke 1st on my Lubr build thread... You're up second.

Comment

Working...
                              X