On board air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On board air

What compressor should I get for bolt on for my 351. pretty sure I know I want the seperate oil on the bottom.

Lookin now as I will have lots of time on eBay etc when in camp.

Re: On board air

York 210 is the bigger A/C compressor with an actual crankcase. Try to find a big truck shop that took one off a truck because of a blown head gasket. In an A/C system they have to withstand 300psi head pressure, as an air pump only like 150psi. There are tons of threads online and even on here about modding them as onboard air compressors.
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I am sure where there's a will there's a way, but I could not get a York compressor to fit in my engine bay with my 351w and Econoline PS/AC bracket. To get it low enough to clear the hood (stock hood, 2" body lift) it was hitting the inner fender. There is absolutely no way it'll fit on the passenger's side with a Mustang alternator/smog pump bracket.

Custom brackets may get you there, and/or complete lack of inner fenders. Unsure what your engine bay looks like but I figured I"d share my experience with the brackets that I use. I am not going to reinvent the wheel for that, so I used a Sanden compressor instead. It works - doesn't deliver the volume of the York but for airing up tires and pressurizing the tank that I run my ARB lockers off of, it's fine.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

I agree, a York is the best, but if you're running a belt setup that came from the factory with an A/C compressor, I'd just use it. The stock ford sanden compressors are. It the best, but they work and you don't have to make any brackets.
        Mark Harris
        71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Haven't been on this site in a few years but it should have all the info needed. We were taking them off Volvo cars. Also, there is a specific model that pushes the most air.

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/yorkair.html
          Last edited by Rockbronco67; 06-09-2014, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Im gonna agree with Mark. I didnt realize how hard the yorks had become to find, till I paid attention one day. With the sanden sitting right there on top, I wouldnt be worried about any maintenance.

As an aside, after years of having a york, I found I really never used it except for my ARB's, which I now wish I just had a little electrical one. I used to fill up my tires, but prefer to tow to the trails now.

Comment

Don't need high output now I think I have 6 gallons air tank capacity. Just need something I can pull out of wreckers and bolt to my 351.

What cars/trucks. Sanden is oil free?

Comment

Are you set on a engine driven pump?
                I have a warn VTC that I am going to sell it is rated at 8 CFM at 90 PSI

$500 plus the ride
                72 EB " The new project"
                88 BroncoII 4.0 C5 1350/1354 D44/9 stuffed with arb's 4.88's and chromo axles rolling on beadlocked 37 Iroks

Comment

Yeah I rather engine driven so I can keep as much interior room possible

Comment

sanden is usable and probably the easiest even compared to electric pumps. Some super cool guy wrote this article a while back on how to do it.

http://www.wt4x4.net/tech/onboardair.htm
                    Idle hands equates to wild horses getting my money

Comment

Working...
                    X