Name that motor sound.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name that motor sound.......

Motor is a 94 351 with 160K or so on it.

This only happens once the motor has been running for a while around town. It starts at idle or decel, and at first, if I blip the throttle, I can get it to go away for a moment. Then once its been screaching for a bit, it wont go away at all. Its only noticeable when RPM's are lower. Not sure if its due to other noises, or it just plain stops. Warm Oil pressure is at like 15 to 20 at idle, but builds to 35 to 40 running. I believe it is coming from around the crank somewhere, but its hard to tell

Re: Name that motor sound.......

damn that doesn't sound good, the belt tensioner maybe? sounds like it's close to the front? possibly a spun bearing but hopefully I'm wrong
    Last edited by ThrillHouse; 05-31-2014, 05:36 PM.

Comment

That is a very strange sound. Sounds like a dry bearing about to go. Do you have an automotive stethoscope that you can start putting on various components to see if you can pinpoint it's origin?

Comment

Since one guess is as good as another... I think it sounds bell like and is outside the motor. Like maybe something behind a pulley.
        Just a stock 1966 U13, 170 ci 6 cyl, no kiddin'.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry66 View Post
          Since one guess is as good as another... I think it sounds bell like and is outside the motor. Like maybe something behind a pulley.
          did that a few weeks ago, and the sound was still there, but fairly faint. It was kind of weird. Maybe a bearing going out, and transmitting through a/the bells? I try and get audio tomorrow.

Comment

pulled the belt, and the noise is still there. Using a stethascope, it appears to be loudest around the crank pulley.

Its a little hard to hear, but you can hear it.

oh yeah, getting some white smoke at start up too. Just replaced some exhaust pieces, but it should have burned of by now. Thing is running good though.
            Last edited by plug ugly; 06-01-2014, 05:42 PM.

Comment

White smoke should be water. Could it be the water pump? Are you loosing water at all? Have you pressure tested the cooling sistem?

Comment

could be the water pump, how old is the front main seal?

Comment

would the water pump make a sound if the belt was pulled?

Comment

Not sure but I wouldent think so unless its a vibration thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ThrillHouse View Post
                      how old is the front main seal?
                      original

Comment

got it all back together and went for a drive today after replacing the front crank seal. Additionally, I threw a different dizzy on, and swapped out a suspect tensioner pulley.

The noise persists. Its slightly' different, but not by much. The edges of the belt do look like they are being warn down some, but the noise really sounds like its coming from the crank area.

Oil pressure is fairly normal for the tired motor. Its fairly consistent too, low at idle, 35 to 45 at rpms. So is it not a main?

Any ideas on what to check next?

Comment

Turn up the radio and drive it, if something is wrong it will find you.

Comment

I would take all belts off and run it if the noise is gone its ether a pully or alternator / PS/water pump that will narrow it down don't run it long though

Comment

Originally posted by plug ugly View Post
                              would the water pump make a sound if the belt was pulled?
                              The pump won't make noise with the belt off

Comment

Working...
                              X