Open barrel crimp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open barrel crimp

Just picked up an American Autowire harness to my Mustang and It recommends to use their crimpers. I'm all for using and owning good tools, but it will cost over$200 to buy theirs(2 pairs). Started looking online for alternatives, but was overwhelmed with options. Seems like there must be decent alternatives. You guys have any experience with this? Suggestions?
    Last edited by Muddy; 05-21-2014, 09:34 PM.
    We're here for a good time, not a long time!

Re: Open barrel crimp

I have some ratcheting wire crimping pliers like these that I bought for doing my weather pack connectors when I installed my wiring harness. PowernationTV talked about a set with interchangeable jaws for different types of crimps including spark plug wires that sold at Summit Racing. These aren't them I don't think but they seem to be quality and the jaws that come with them allow many possibilities.
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

That seems to be a very universal tool. Looking at the instructions it calls for a terminal crimper that does 18-14 gauge and another that does12-8. This may do the trick. I like the price.

Comment

I've got a pair as posted above with interchangeable jaws that's very handy, blue point-$85. Will do open barrel, insulated, non insulated and one other 3wire size ranges with each interchangeable set and is preload adjustable. But you may be able to find something similar cheaper

Comment

I got a lot of tools off this page that I've used both for my airplane build and for Bronco electrical duties.
          1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
          I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Thanks guys. That site has some reasonable alternatives, but tge Bluepoint one is pretty sweet.

Comment

I wanted to bring in the new Pertronix brand ratcheting crimper, but with all the other alternatives out there for less, it's a hard sell.
              It's what I've been using recently though, and I like the snap-in jaws, rather than the ones that use a set-screw of some type. They also have the spark plug wire jaws, so getting them let me return the other set I "borrowed" (for like three years) from a friend.

Like them a lot so far.

Paul
              Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
              www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
              68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Working...
              X