Rubber or solid doubler mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubber or solid doubler mounts

I have the 203/205 Doubler installed in my Bronco. I have upgraded my skid plate to half-inch thick steel which will double as the mounting point for the transfercases and transmission(th350). The engine mounts are polyurethane . I'm thinking 4 single polyurethane mounts. If I used solid mounts, there won't be any twisting other than from the engine. I don't want to put stress on the transmission case. Any thoughts and/or mount options?
    67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
    69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
    69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
    79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
    67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Re: Rubber or solid doubler mounts

the latest 'fad' is to make a cradle that captures the tranny and tcase together on a single mount or maybe two. I see merit in it, but never had issues with my old mounts which was poly motor, a widen klune mounting with rubber chevy body mounts and a single torque arm with rubber. The wider mount helped, and frankly I just got lucky. No issues with my zf.

I just did my scout with poly motor, and two poly mounts at tranny and 205. Nothing on klune. Its been haunting me, and I think I am going to join the cradle camp.

Whatever you do, like you already mentioned, try and keep things even. That 203/205 set up is heavy as you surely know already.

Comment

You definitely want to have mounts of the same material for your engine, transmission and t-case. Running different types will cause broken gear boxes, most likely a cracked bell housing. I used to have a rectangle mount under my ZF and a round poly bushing at the side of my 205. I'm going to try a single mount at the flange between the two and see how that works.
      SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

i had used the single mount between the klune and 205 and had no issues. The cradle is a good option,but not a practical one with how all the links mount. The skid plate will be the crossmember. If both the 205 adapter and transmission adapter mount to the same structure(skid plate), I would call that a "cradle". This whole swap has had no issues(knock on wood) so far. Everything fits with no mods and I just flipped driveshafts front to rear.
        69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans

Comment

It's most important to never change the "triangle" of the mounting system. As you know the engine mounts are wider, moving back to the top of a triangle at the tranny mount, this allows it to move. Making a tranny mount as wide as the motor mount is more ridged and tends to crack other parts.
          I'd try and sway you from mounting the tranny off the skid plate, I'd rather build some tube work then just hang the skid plate off that. I just know skid plates take really hard hits and if your tranny is mounted to it that hit will transfer into the tranny.
          Mark Harris
          71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Mark, I was thinking it would be the same concept as my cj5. Transfer case mounted to the stock skid plate/crossmember. With the doubler, wouldn't there be more twisting force there to prevent? Or I could just use two mounts inline to keep the triangle effect.

Comment

I did both poly frame mounts as well the center triangle trans mount for my c6 and the rear of the 205. Then there will be 1/4" plate under it all from 205 up to at least the bell housing.

Comment

Working...
              X