WH Output Shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WH Output Shaft

Ok so I'm at a loss....I finally got the assembled HD output shaft and housing from WH and am scratching my head with the speedo install. I'm running Ford fuel injection with a stock speedo cable and Autometer speedometer as well as the ford VSS.

The complete kit comes with the output shaft/housing, Atlas speed cable, speedo gear, and Atlas speedo housing assembly. Now this is by no means a bash on WH, but the instructions in the box by AA and the one online are sparse at best and do not show how to adapt the housing assembly to the Ford VSS. Nor does it show how to assemble said housing. What am I missing either parts wise or common sense? (Not exactly plug and play on the speedo side of things, haven't started the housing install yet.......)

Thanks

Sean
    Last edited by FFMDX; 04-26-2014, 10:38 AM.
    '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Re: WH Output Shaft

This is the sensor I'm running now...
    Attached Files
    '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

Also, should the T-case be in neutral and trans in gear, both in gear/neutral when pulling the stock housing and shaft?

TIA

Comment

I can't help but my brother did his a couple weeks back and had the same problems and complaints. Did you get in touch with him Sean? He also said he was going to document everything to make it easier for the next guy but I'm not sure if that happened.

Comment

Not yet. Been in and out of the house all day.

Comment

i dont have experience with the particular products you are using, but to clarify what you are saying...

The sensor you have above, is that the VSS that was in the tcase? Is it what ran your speedo before? Are you using an actually speedo cable, or is it all electric?
            Do you have the gear that goes on the output shaft also? can you get me a pic of the tailshaft(bearing) housing where that would mount?

Comment

Ha Sean sorry about dragging my feet on the write up of the HD output install. Here is what i can remember. First this thing is a work of art that deserves much better instructions. Things that i ran in to..
              Can not install if u have no body lift. You either need to drop the t case down about a inch or notch the floor/body stiffener thingy

Old output out, duck taped up so i can sawsall the notch. I also tightened the breather a half turn more so i could get to it easier. Again if u have a body lift as i know u do Sean, you wont have to worry about all this. But for those of us who don't, this step will add a Half hour to the " plug and play easy install".

When pulling the old out put out, I had my t case in neutral because i like to be able to move the bronco with my feet wile under it when taking off the drive shaft. Easier to get to all 4 drive shaft bolts. Well when i pulled the old output off the shift fork and gear dropped down about a inch because they were only supported by the output gear. Easy fix i had my wife shift it into 2H wile i held everything in alignment. So u want it to be in 2H before pulling the old output.

There r 13 beefy needle bearings inside the output that the directions say nothing about. Mine came out with the old output. So i pulled them out cleaned them and repacked them in the new output with pretty heavy grease in hopes that they would stay in place for the install. And they did. It took a little jigglin to get it in but it went with not to much fuss.

The stud that u need to install to an exact depth needs to have the threads dinged so that it dosen't thread in to deep into the tcase. ( i know it is in the wrong hole in the pick) I threaded it in to the required depth, backed it out about 2 turns then took a screw driver and folded a thread or two over. If u don't do this wile u r threading the nut on it it wants to turn the stud deeper. I guess u could lock tight the stud and let it set up over night. No patience for that.

As far as the speedo go's im running a VSS that runs a digital speedo. I talked to Advanced Adapters, WH and no one could come up with any solution. They acted like this is the first time some one had asked them this question. ( I know I know WH and AA are stand up company's with a very good and well deserved rep but they both dropped the ball on this one) A guy at BC broncos was a lot of help. I guess he had a build going on that he was having the same issue with. We never got to the bottom of it with a rock solid fix with out buying another $60 cable that went between the VSS and the new larger AA speedo hole. I was still feeling the sting of the new HD output $$$$ So this is what i came up with,

I had some of this bad ass tape that i picked up from the sportsmens expo back in January. Its supper heat, oil, water resistant. So i pretty mush taped it together. I felt like at the time it was a little jimmy rigged but i have a few hundred miles on the bronco since and it seems to be holding up well, No leaky, and speedo works,
              Hope this helps out anyone who attempts this little project

On a side note just wondering if anyone else runs one of these and noticed the alum output getting pretty hot. I figure since its alum its prob drawing a lot of the heat out of the cast case ?? I hope...
              Last edited by rockslut; 04-26-2014, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks MiKe! So how did you thread the speedo cable to the sensor?

Comment

Good question. I dont have a cable. mine is a digital gauge so it go's electronically.

Comment

Originally posted by rockslut View Post
                    Good question. I dont have a cable. mine is a digital gauge so it go's electronically.
                    Just re-read your post and saw that....

Anyone run into this issue running the speedo cable and EFI?

Comment

Sean, I'm running a VSS with EFI, is your issue directly due to a different mounting application with your new housing?
                      Last edited by 14Justice; 04-27-2014, 06:12 AM.
                      1969 Sport, 351 roller EFI, 4R70W, TEAM BLUE.

Comment

Originally posted by 14Justice View Post
                        Sean, I'm running a VSS with EFI, is your issue directly due to a different mounting application with your new housing?
                        Yup. Exactly. The adaptor has a threaded end for the cable and the Vss is a push in with no threaded end on either side. I really hope this is an easy fix, I reall hoping for the "plug n play"

Comment

Did you see this? One would think for the price it would come as a whole kit??? It looks like you still need this adapter to fit your new adapter. Can you adapt?

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product...edometer_Combo

or:

http://www.bcbroncos.com/store/produ...roducts_id=800

It looks like the BC one might just screw onto the current speedo connector...
                          Last edited by 14Justice; 04-27-2014, 07:48 AM.
                          1969 Sport, 351 roller EFI, 4R70W, TEAM BLUE.

Comment

The speedo drive on that thing is the same one that AA uses on the Atlas (you probably figured that out by now).Which in turn came from Jeep/Chrysler. The NP241 transfer cases found under older Jeeps uses the same setup, and you can get different driven gears to correct the speedometer. AA used to sell those, probably still do.

When I installed my Atlas I was running a Ford VSS. An early 80's Bronco with cruise control uses a cable that fits the EB speedometer and the VSS, that's what I have in my Bronco. AA sent me to an outfit in Sparks called Nevada Speedometer. They made me a short version of the cable that BCB sells. It lasted about a year, at which time the short cable turned into a ball of wire. Turns out that the Jeep setup uses a square speedo cable end just like the one Ford uses. I harvested the retainer ring off the trashed adapter cable, modified the driven end on the VSS at the other end of the cable, then machined some bits and assembled everything with my trusty friend J-B Weld. It's been working for years. Pippin Mader did something similar only he adapted a VSS like the one in your picture, Sean. A few ways to skin that cat. Here are some pix of mine.

1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
                            I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Originally posted by 14Justice View Post
                              Did you see this? One would think for the price it would come as a whole kit??? It looks like you still need this adapter to fit your new adapter. Can you adapt?

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product...edometer_Combo

or:

http://www.bcbroncos.com/store/produ...roducts_id=800

It looks like the BC one might just screw onto the current speedo connector...
                              Thanks....I'm hoping it was just an oversight on WH and they forgot to include that adaptor esp for the $$........

Thanks Lars, I may be contacting you for a little more info if WH doesn't pan out...

Comment

Working...
                              X