Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4R70W tranny 2wd vs 4wd

Which route should I go?
    I have a 96 complete V8 Explorer 2wd donor vehicle. Runs and is ready to pilfer. I want to run a 4r tranny. I don't know the best route to go. Should I use the tranny it comes with and hook up the dana 20, or go with a 4wd 4r from another donor? For a time I will conitnue to run my Cold Duck and dana 20 combo so length is a factor in tranny choice.

Re: 4R70W tranny 2wd vs 4wd

From my understanding the only difference in a 2wd and 4wd is the rear housing and tailshaft. You'd be replacing those anyway with the kit from advanced adaptors. That being said, the 98 and newer 4R70W's are better units as they have beefier internals.
    1969 Sport, 351 roller EFI, 4R70W, TEAM BLUE.

Comment

Found this in my searching...

4x4 can use the ZF adapter to D20 $500
      2wd uses the extension housing and rear output shaft from the AOD adapter. $650 but a bit shorter drivetrain length and requires a transmission tear down to change the output shaft.

Is it true?

Comment

I'm not familliar with the ZF direct fit. Toms sells the AOD kits for $519 no tax just shipping. I'm headed to Medford next month and can bring one back to San Jose area then we can try the mule train to your area if that should workout??? I also used the kit for the crossmember as well. I just purchased the brackets not the crossmember. I followed the instructions from Advamced Adaptors for the cross member.

http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/categ...o-c6-aod-swaps
        Last edited by 14Justice; 04-23-2014, 06:41 PM.

Comment

It's not a direct fit.
          The spud shaft is a different size and does not come with a seal that is needed.

The kit we list is ONLY for the 4-wheel drive version and is $524 (http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product...Dana20_Adapter)

The ZF kit is quite a bit less at $389 (http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product...dana20_Adapter)

As mentioned, the 2wd version of the 4R70w needs the kit with the output shaft. More money and more hassle, but if you already own the transmission, it's harder to justify unless you can easily source a 4wd version and don't mind waiting until you find one.

There is a seal you can utilize that fits the ZF shaft, but it's not a common number anymore and can be hard to find locally.
          Evan down in Prunedale did it last year and had his share of hassles. I think he got it sorted, but not sure.

Paul
          Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
          www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
          68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Allright. Working on purchasing 98 tranny now, just go to get the transport figured out. Will my 96 wiring harness work with the 98 tranny? HOPING!!!!

Comment

I would think so... Are your plans to use the explorer computer to control the tranny? Or are you planning on the Baumann?

Comment

Explorer comp.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheesenip73 View Post
                  Alright. Working on purchasing 98 tranny now, just go to get the transport figured out. Will my 96 wiring harness work with the 98 tranny? HOPING!!!!
                  No. I say this as I bought the Baumann kit from someone for a really good price in ID. It was set up for a 96 and I wanted to use it on my 98 Trans. I called Baumann, very helpful folks by the way, and I had to trade in a portion of the harness for one that would work with my 98. Seems there were alot of mid year changes between 96-98... Maybe a factory set up would work?

Are you going to use Garry in CO to rework your harness?
                  2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                  1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                  2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

If he is the guy on classic, then yes I'm thinking of sending it to him. What is your thought?

Comment

If he is the guy on classic, then yes I'm thinking of sending it to him. What is your thought?

Comment

Originally posted by Cheesenip73 View Post
                        I like his work... he did mine. He has a checklist of things that he can do/delete from the factory. He has my recommendation...
                        2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                        1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                        2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Working...
                        X