Wiring a Volvo fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring a Volvo fan?

So I went down to my local pick n pull yard and picked up a Volvo fan with the relays. Now I have a question for those of you that are running this fan. How did you wire it? I am assuming the big black wire is the ground and the big red wire is hooked up to 12 volts, but where did you hook up the small brown and yellow striped wire and the orange and green striped wire? I would think that one of these would need to go to my water temp sensor to tell the relay when to kick on and off, but which one? And then where does the other one go?
    Attached Files

Re: Wiring a Volvo fan?

One of them goes to your muffler bearing and the other goes to the flux capacitor. For the life of me I can't remember which one is which. If you hook it up correctly you'll be able to make whiskey from your tail pipe at 88mph. But if you hook it up backwards God help us all and I'm heading for the hills! Hope that helps!
    Leave No One Behind
    KK6AUW

Comment

correct. one is low speed, the other high. I forget which is which. I recently tried to use a new temp sender switch and it wasnt working for some reason. But works when I put it to a normal switch for ground. Havent looked into it any further

Comment

I didn't use the Volvo relays. I used a 2 speed controller from DC Control.
        Last edited by Efibroncoman; 04-20-2014, 09:12 AM.
        SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by ProudPapa View Post
          One of them goes to your muffler bearing and the other goes to the flux capacitor. For the life of me I can't remember which one is which. If you hook it up correctly you'll be able to make whiskey from your tail pipe at 88mph. But if you hook it up backwards God help us all and I'm heading for the hills! Hope that helps!
          But I have to do this before the Libians show up!!! LOL!

Comment

I knew I could count on you to add to the story!
            Leave No One Behind
            KK6AUW

Comment

Doc!
              Idle hands equates to wild horses getting my money

Comment

I hooked everything up temporarily just to test the fan and it works great. Hi and low speed work just as they should. Now what I don't know is if I can somehow wire the hi and low ground wires from the fan to my water temp sending unit on my EFI engine and still have the two speed operation of the fan.

Comment

Mark Harris said something about volvo relaeys and a BMW controller. Another friend also mentioned it on Facebook. Maybe you can google it.
                  Marc D.
                  If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

I used mine with the BMW switch, I just welded in a fitting on the radiator the tapped it out to the metric bmw switch.
                    Loads of info here
                    http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200028

For wiring, I saw people used a relay to control the relay pack, I just did it normally, red to pos, black to neg, the 2 center wires on the Volvo relay go to the BMW switch (3 prong), then a wire from the BMW switch to a dash switch to control ground.
                    I did put diodes on the fan motors high and low speed wires to help get rid of the ground field those fans produce.
                    Mark Harris
                    71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
                      I did put diodes on the fan motors high and low speed wires to help get rid of the ground field those fans produce.
                      can you explain this further please. what is the ground field.

Comment

Since the fan motor is an inductor when the contacts of the relay open, the energy that is stored in the motor has no place to go. The voltage increases (negatively) and a spark is created across the relay contacts.
                        I used a 1N5404 which is rated at 3A, 400PIV.
                        Mark Harris

Comment

what does the spark cause, quicker failure?

Comment

Yup, it can melt the windings in the fan. I noticed as when I turned off my fan from the dash (breaking the ground) the fan would run and just slow down (lessing the field) until it did not spinning fast enough to generate a negative field, it would then stop.
                            Mark Harris

Comment

Was this not a problem in the Volvo cars from the factory? Just wondering where this problem comes from?

Comment

Working...
                              X