Bed Rug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bed Rug

Thinking about making a custom floor mat for the back of my rig. Been driving around a lot lately with my dog in the back, and he slides around a lot on the spray in liner. He's getting older and I know he's not as resilient as he once was, plus the floor gets warm above the exhaust (not burning hot by any means)

I like the idea of having a little padding back there anyway - not a full on carpet kit, but something durable and removable, easily cleaned, etc. Bed Rug is pretty highly reviewed online when used in trucks - its waterproof, can be cleaned with a hose, etc. Gives a little friction such that things placed back there are less apt to slide around when driving.

I found that the makers of Bed Rug liners sell their material in bulk - or rather a 66x98 rectangle that can be cut to fit. Reference: http://www.amazon.com/Bedrug-BMX00D-..._cd_ql_qh_dp_t

Has anybody used this stuff? How well does it hold up when you cut it? I see no mention of having to sew or hem the edges so I am guessing its pretty straightforward.

That size would also allow me to cover the tailgate or maybe make some front floor mats (also removable). Just an idea... lately my focus is on making my rig a little more comfortable and usable as a backup vehicle.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: Bed Rug

I always used out door carpet from Home Depot in my jeeps it's cheep and easy

Comment

It looks like nice stuff. Washable, good. The thing with any fibrous surface (especially carpet) is that it absorbs mind boggling amounts of dust. Though since I haven't seen the stuff in person maybe it's not an issue.

WH sells some front mats (item 3432). I bought a set several years back. I really liked the material, so I called them and convinced Jim to order some material in bulk from his supplier. I made an entire interior mat out of the stuff, then used the mats I'd bought originally on top of it as extra padding/antiwear/whatever. Being rubber (it's EPDM so it's not terribly oil resistant, not that it matters) I can pull it out at the car wash and rinse the whole thing down.
      1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
      I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

When I take my dog in the bronco I throw his big dog pillow in the back. It's one of those 48" round pillows from Costco. It takes care of the heat and hard surfaces...
        SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

A friend gave me a couple of their sample pads. As you can tell from the pic, my dog loves them! The carpet is nice and short like most outdoor carpets, the pad is a closed cell foam so it wont absorb water. Maybe just cover the front 2-3" of the bed. I bet he would quickly figure out where he wanted to stand, sit or lay in the bed and less for you to clean out when needed.
          Attached Files
          1969 EB, 88 Speed density EFI 302, HP D44 front w/ARB, Radius arm long arm, NP435, D20, D60 w/power lock rear, 4link rear with 4" stretch, Front and rear bumpers made by me.

Comment

I had a custom fit bed rug in a past truck, it was custom fit and went up to the bedrails. The truck had a snug top so it wasn't exposed to weather. It was surprisingly durable and easy to clean. It does collect some dust but not too much. Every so often I would pull it out and pressure wash it.
            69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Originally posted by SonicDonkey View Post
              A friend gave me a couple of their sample pads. As you can tell from the pic, my dog loves them! The carpet is nice and short like most outdoor carpets, the pad is a closed cell foam so it wont absorb water. Maybe just cover the front 2-3" of the bed. I bet he would quickly figure out where he wanted to stand, sit or lay in the bed and less for you to clean out when needed.
              That is pretty neat. Added to mental list of "cool stuff I need to use someday."
              1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
              I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'm going to order some of that material sometime soon and make a mat to cover most/all of the bed area to start with. My goal is to have a mat that's easily removable, and given that it can be hosed off or even pressure washed I'm not too concerned with dust collection. In my truck I have a thick rubber mat on the bed floor and I have even considered something like that for the back of my Bronco but I like the looks of this bed rug stuff better. And depending on what is left over a pair of floormats for the front might be nice too.

My rig is garaged and pretty much only goes outside in warm/dry weather at least until I get a top, so I am not terribly concerned about trapping moisture on the floorboards.
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

Working...
                X