Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans Cooler and Lines

So
    On the the way to work this AM, I turn onto the south 101 on ramp. Hit the gas and blow a Transmission line

Going to replace the lines and thinking of a cooler instead of the radiator cooler.
    looking for ideas from the group before I buy.

Trans is a C4.

Also could use some advise on what works best on removing trans fluid from... Well..... EVERYWHERE
    1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Re: Trans Cooler and Lines

Rain water works best for the tranny oil.... lol

I would fix it first and add a gauge to see how your temps are doing before adding a cooler.
    Idle hands equates to wild horses getting my money

Comment

I had problems with my E40D overheating ALL the time in my big bronco. I bypassed the radiator to the stock small tranny cooler and added a stacked plate B/M cooler with a fan. Best investment I made, never overheated again. I think derale makes a cheaper version of the BM unit now too.

People will tell you to run the tranny through the radiator to help heat up the fluid to eliminate moisture or get it to operating temp. I never subscribed to that theory myself, especially if your motor is thermostated at 197 like mine was/is.

Comment

Buy the WH fittings so your tranny lines can be AN fitting and get some nice line for it.
        I use 2 wire hydro hose for my lines, cheap and parts are everywhere.
        Mark Harris
        71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

I ran the derale with a fan for my e4od but it still got hot.

Comment

Originally posted by California Monkey View Post
            I ran the derale with a fan for my e4od but it still got hot.
            did you bypass the radiator?

Comment

No. Not yet.
              1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

I did both for a while with a gauge to see the differences. It was a wash as the e4od is a fat pig that cant stay cool to save its life.... literally.

Comment

The main reason to keep it in the radiator is to help heat up the fluid. This needs to be done in places where I don't live, AKA Places that it snows.
                  Mark Harris
                  71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Working...
                  X