Locking storage for topless rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking storage for topless rig

I am looking for ideas on how to build in some fairly secure locking storage into my rig. I'd like to be more easily able to lock down a gun or two, tools, and other assorted small valuables for times when I leave my rig unattended. Thinking a few small locking areas would be nice. I'd like to be able to more comfortably leave my rig parked overnight, away from where I am camped (say I paddle my canoe across the lake for a night... that kind of thing).

I have the Tuffy glove box but its already pretty full with normal glove box contents - maps, leatherman tool, EFI code scanner, registration/insurance, etc.

Would love to add a Tuffy center console but its a tight squeeze between my PRP seats - if they did not have such huge honkin side bolsters this would not be an issue. So the Tuffy console idea is basically out.

Not a huge fan of the huge Tuffy boxes that folks mount across the back of the bed, near the tailgate - they make loading/unloading a bit of a chore as you basically end up with a permanent tailgate with the box bolted to the floor - my Bronco is going to become my "truck" sooner or later so the utility of an open bed floor is something that I like.

I know that I am limiting my options the more I write here... but I am sure someone here has some ideas. Been searching "jeep" forums, etc too.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: Locking storage for topless rig

do you have a back seat?

wouldnt be hard to get a piece of 10 gauge bent, put a hinge on it, and have it sit right behind your seat. Would essentially make a rear deck lid. Since you dont like how it makes loading, just put some angle iron around the inner fenders, that it would lock to, and you could easily remove it by just unlocking it.

If that makes no sense I apologize. My computer skills suck, so I couldnt even attempt to draw something up, but have a picture in my head that would work.

Comment

I don't run a back seat, don't even own one anymore. I do understand your idea though and I've had similar thoughts about building a "bed rack" like what 71Bronco71 and a few others have done, enclose the side opposite the tailgate and get a locking tailgate handle to form somewhat of a "trunk". its an idea just not an ideal one for me right now. Just hoping someone has that "why didn't I think of that" idea... outside the box ideas.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

false floor

Comment

Tailgate hidden compartment, make locking compartments behind the inner fendes. Locking overhead tuffy cb concole (just no cb).
          Idle hands equates to wild horses getting my money

Comment

I was unaware until just now, that Tuffy made a 6" security console without stereo provisions. Their 6" stereo console fits my rig but the wider part (for the stereo) rubs the seats too much for my liking (I think).

http://www.amazon.com/Tuffy-Security...ords=tuffy+023

It's a start anyway...

For these other ideas - false floor, inner fender, tailgate, etc... anybody have pictures of what they have actually done?
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

I just replaced my drivers side floor with stainless. I built this compartment to use up the extra space. It's about 6" deep and 11" x 11". Once I have the interior complete with new carpet I will drop this in over the carpet and throw a floor mat over the top. It's big enough for a gun or two and whatever extra valuables you might have. I have a locking latch but I haven't swapped it out with the standard one yet.

It's all TIG welded and will be sealed up with seam sealer once everything is finalized. The door is white because I haven't peeled the protective vinyl off yet. Water could get in from the top side but not much as the the inside has a shelf with gasket material. If I wanted to go a little more fancy I could make the door different and have it be watertight from both sides. In my case I didn't need it to be, just the bottom side. Let me know if you want more details.
              Attached Files
              1972 w/Explorer package
              5.0L Explorer EFI motor w/GT40P heads
              M5R2 5 speed trans/NP205 t-case

Comment

Wow that is pretty slick. I really like that floor compartment idea. I do plan to add my side gas tank back in but you've given me ideas anyway.

I have tomorrow off work and plan to browse different kinds of toolboxes for trucks and that kind of thing. I have a pretty specific way that I pack my rig as I have an ARB fridge and also have to leave some floor space in the back for my dog. I'm trying not to have to reinvent the wheel in terms of where my tiedowns are placed, etc. But still open to more suggestions. Thanks to all who have responded so far.
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by 72bronc0 View Post
                  I just replaced......et me know if you want more details.

I had something similar without the lever in my 69 passenger floor in highschool. I didnt make it, but was very handy for hiding a 12 pack.

Comment

Originally posted by 72bronc0 View Post
                    I just replaced my drivers side floor with stainless.
                    very Cool
                    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Smittybilt 2746 - Smittybilt Secure Lock Boxes
                      Cargo Box; Secure Lock Box; Dual Lock System; Universal Mount
                      Be the first to Review this product
                      Estimated Ship Date: Today
                      Would you rather pick it up? Select Location

$69.99

Email this page
                      I got a a
                      Smittybilt under seat for some things

Comment

No pics, but my buddy's old '69 had a box under the driver's seat below the floor with the access on the left side with the door open, seems like some of the old Willys wagons had something like that? JL
                        Last edited by polecat; 04-10-2014, 06:43 PM.
                        '66 roadster, 200 six, GM HEI, 3.03/Jeep T150 shifter, 4.11 gears, 3" lift, 33X12.5

"I can explain it to you a hundred times, but I can't understand it for you!"

Comment

Ammo Cans with locks ??
                          Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                          After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Don't know if this will work, but here's a link (I hope) to a pic of the old Willys hidey hole:

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/lord...72078743204474
                            '66 roadster, 200 six, GM HEI, 3.03/Jeep T150 shifter, 4.11 gears, 3" lift, 33X12.5

"I can explain it to you a hundred times, but I can't understand it for you!"

Comment

I use ammo cans to carry small spares, duct tape, tools, etc. Don't really want to permanently attach them to the rig though, want something a little more finished looking. I am picky, lol.
                              When I did my floor pan repairs I added that passenger seat "shelf" thing to mine so unlike a stock Bronco my floor pans don't really allow for those cool underseat locking compartments, though a locking door on the front of that thing is an option. May have to noodle on that a little.

I think I may visit WH tomorrow and see about test fitting a tuffy console between the seats again to see how tight a fit it is and if it can be made to work. I like my PRP seats, but would love to retrofit seats like what my 2013 Passat has - they are SO comfy, adjustable in about 100 ways, heated, etc. If I could find a pair of them I'd seriously consider swapping out the PRPs for more room and more comfort too.

Getting side tracked... keep the ideas coming guys! Great stuff so far.
                              1970 Bronco
                              My build thread

Comment

Working...
                              X