Rebuilding the carburetor on my 79

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding the carburetor on my 79

Anybody have any experience rebuilding a stock 2 barrel motorcraft carb on 79 Bronco? Is one rebuild kit any better than the other? One brand better than other? Any tips or tricks that you've done?

Re: Rebuilding the carburetor on my 79

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/en...torcraft-2100/
    This article doesn't explain much, but the Brennan that was referenced in the article is a buddy of mine and when I was in Moab he did his modifications to my 2 barrel and it ran amazing. You start by rebuild the carb. I use any old rebuild kit. Super simple to do. When setting the float level you need to pump fuel. You want the fuel level to stablize where when you can set a quarter at the fuel level and the quarter is level with the top of the bowl. The article has a good picture of the gasket he cuts out. The plug and restricted side on mine is a trail repair, but basically you plug the drivers side vent and restrict and raise the passenger side vent as much as possible. Tune your idle jets and you're good to go. I was thoroughly impressed to the point that the affordable Efi in the garage is going to go on the daily driver.
    Marc D.
    If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Very easy to do, lots of youtube videos out there as well.
      I normally soak my carbs in a jug of diesel for about a week before I start.
      I think everyone sells the same rebuild kit.
      I'd add a plastic spacer to the bottom of it to aid in heat soak.
      Mark Harris
      71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

I've rebuilt mine with no mods and it does well wheeling. Some have asked if it was fuel injected. As you know Pat, when we did the Dusy it struggled at that elevation, but it did it.

Comment

Sounds like this would be a good one for someone to fully document for the picture whores, and stick it in the tech tips string.

I've seen guys with 2 barrels that would run damn near upside down. Would've thought they were injected.
          Very cool
          1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

Originally posted by blwngsket View Post
            Sounds like this would be a good one for someone to fully document for the picture whores, and stick it in the tech tips string.

I've seen guys with 2 barrels that would run damn near upside down. Would've thought they were injected.
            Very cool
            Before the Motorcraft 2 barrel, I had a carter AFB. THAT SUCKED, CAUSED MANY DENTED BODY PANELS because of stalling with clutch. Hated it!

Comment

You disappoint me Patrick. Years of "reminding" me to go EFI and now you're rebuilding a 2bbl carb. I dunno man you're slipping.

That 79 is going to be sweet though!
              1970 Bronco
              My build thread

Comment

The biggest thing that messes with most people's heads initially is when you go in to ask for a rebuild kit and they ask you for the tag ID numbers. By now most carbs don't have them anymore, but without it, you're going to do the guessing game because there were literally like 20 different kits available the last time I did it.

Luckily, most of them include most of the same stuff, with just a few minor variations. But it's good sometimes to already have yours apart so you can visually compare the bowl gasket in the kit to the one in your carb.
                That's when that clear wrapper comes in handy. So you don't have to explain why you're trying to return a kit that's been opened.

Or you could pic two or three kits, go home and hope you got lucky. But usually you do, so it's a fun start.

Some of the worst carbs I've driven on the trail were stock 2bbls. But some of the very best were stock 2bbls too.

Paul
                Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

When the old man taught me how to rebuild a carb using a holly double pumper I was a bit intimidated. But once you get it apart it's no biggie.
                  He soaked it for a little over a day in some old school 70s/80s carb cleaner. Like mark said diesel aught to work. Then lots of scrubbing and using the air compressor to blow crap out. I might have some stock 2bbls from that era if you need a spare. I'm heading north on Friday and will be back after Easter.
                  72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Thanks for all of the help fellas. I got this antiquated air/fuel sucker thingy all torn apart and I have a question for you experts. Aren't the two main jets supposed to be the same size? On mine, one is clearly lager than the other. And wouldn't you know it, one of them is stuck and won't come loose. Someone (PO) stripped the slots in it so I can't get the stupid thing out. Do any of you have any tricks to get a stuck jet out?

Comment

I would think you would want the same size jets in both, but not sure it is completely neccassary. I don't have any good ways of getting the stripped one out. Mine were stuck, so I left them and just sprayed through them.
                      Marc D.
                      If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Working...
                      X