2.5 vs 4.5 lift what to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.5 vs 4.5 lift what to do

So right now I have a 1973 Luber that has a 2.5" lift and it has a little sag in the back end. I found a 4.5" lift for a good deal and don't know if I should buy it or move on.

So I guess my question is should I keep the 2.5" and see if I can fix the sag in the back or if I should buy the 4.5" and solve the problem with the saging. Any advice would help.

Re: 2.5 vs 4.5 lift what to do

With the 2.5" lift you are still within the limits of using your existing drivelines. fixing the sag would prob be your best bet rather than going with the 4.5 that will open pandoras box of new problems you don't see right now. drivelines, trac-bar, longer shocks, castor issues, steering linkage, doesn't look right with these small tires, yada, yada yada.

If you like the stance of your Bronco with the 2.5 being a luber, keep it and fix the sag.
    If you want to open the preverbal money pit then by all means go the 4.5 route.
    72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
    BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
    RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

You could go with 3.5 inch 11 pack leaf springs on the back and try that with existing drive line. That is pretty much the limit without stretching drive shafts. The wild horse leafs were being made by a company in San Leandro call Betts Springs. I hope that is still the case. Good product.
      Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

I have a add a leaf by super lift guess I will put that on and see if the sag goes away.
        Last edited by Bbash60; 04-07-2014, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Is it the long add-a-leaf or short? And is your spring pack stock or already an aftermarket replacement?
          In other words, how was the original lift obtained?

I agree with the others as far as staying away from the taller lift unless you are wanting to go higher anyway. And if you found a good deal on suspension products on craigslist, how do you know you won't still have sag in the rear? Just from a higher elevation to start with. Unless they're new-ish, you probably don't.

The good news is that, if it's really that good of a deal, you could use the newer leaf springs and remove a few first, to both lower it back more towards your 2.5" height and a softer ride on the street.

Good luck whichever way you go.

Paul
          Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
          www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
          68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

I have an after market leaf pack that I believe is a 10 leaf James duff. The add a leaf that I have is a long leaf. I do think the idea of buying the leaf pack for the 4.5 and taking some out. So many options not sure what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Bbash60 View Post
              I do think the idea of buying the leaf pack for the 4.5 and taking some out. So many options not sure what to do.
              That is not a good idea at all.

1. It will start to sag real quick
              2. Will not offer any load carry abilities
              3. Could break a spring and leave you stranded in the wrong place insert middle of nowhere
              Originally posted by TBS-POPS
              After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

I'd just toss an ORD 1" "zero rate" block at it.
                Mark Harris
                71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Working...
                X