Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Flaming River steering joints

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
    I tried the 4x4x2 swap, but the way I plated my frame it was never going to work without major cutting and welding so I sold my 4x4x2 parts. Added this here for Brad's reference to show him a better option if he can find the parts... you never know what somebody may have in their parts pile. I'm taking my chances with the EB box and will change if/when I have to.
    Nothing wrong functionally whatsoever with the OEM box, Tony. Mine was working great when I sold it (and, with the OEM steering column, it was nice and quiet compared to what I have now). The housing isn't quite as strong as the 4x4 housing though. I had two concerns- (1) I spend a fair bit of time driving around in really remote places where a failed (cracked housing) steering box that was irreplaceable would really suck- did not want to have to adapt a different steering box in the field. (2) Mine was in great shape, and thus worth some serious $$$$. Which it instantly would not have been if I'd cracked the housing. I hoped I could sell it while still intact and finance its replacement. Which turned out to be the case.
    1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
    I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

How did your passenger fare Brad???? Any messes to clean up...

Someone was looking over your Bronco and you guys for sure. Glad to hear no one was hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by 14Justice View Post
        Hey, I had an interesting event happen today heading to the meet and greet in Livermore. I was heading uphill on N/B on hwy 680 just north of mission blvd. When I was almost to the top of the grade, just before Vargas Rd, I went to turn in the curve in the road, and nothing, no steering! Sent me across 3 lanes towards the center divide. I knew it was going to leave a mark but fortunately, it hit the raised asphalt on the center divide and sent me back across all four lanes and up onto the bank.

What happened? The flaming river locking set screw had vibrated loose and separated from my steering box. None, nada, zip steering at almost 70 mph in a turn. Yes, I survived and so did my Bronco without a scratch.

So, if you're using these, please check them often and use thread lock. I, myself am going to look into other options. Lost my trust in those joints.
        Holly F... glad you did not crash!!

Comment

Originally posted by slow poke View Post
          How did your passenger fare Brad???? Any messes to clean up...

Someone was looking over your Bronco and you guys for sure. Glad to hear no one was hurt.
          Yeah, she's doing fine. We both were pretty shaken up by the incident and are both very thankful it ended the way it did. I'm thankful for all my training that most likely kept me calm during the incident. We were very lucky to say the least. Thanks Dave...
          1969 Sport, 351 roller EFI, 4R70W, TEAM BLUE.

Comment

Originally posted by twisted 66 View Post
            Holly F... glad you did not crash!!
            You and I both!
            1969 Sport, 351 roller EFI, 4R70W, TEAM BLUE.

Comment

You definitely had somebody looking after you. I'm glad it all worked out.

Comment

Working...
              X