Oil Burp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Burp

Some time ago I mentioned that I have an intermitent oil spew at the rear of the motor, between the motor and trans. Only after it's been driven and not every time. I have replaced the oil pan gasket and the rear main seal, same issue. No change.

I was talking to a guy that owns a shop here and he said I should check my PCV system. Said it sounds like the pressure in the motor may be building up to the point where it pushes some oil past the seal at the rear of the motor.
    Pressure relased. No more leak, until it builds up again.
    Sounds reasonable to me. Thoughts?

Now Ryan is going to talk about my rig being so excited to be on the road that it blows it's load.......
    1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Re: Oil Burp

Once I had enough end play on my cam that it knocked the freeze plug out a little on the back of the engine. Only lost oil if I accelerated really hard, or climbed a steep hill.
    Marc D.
    If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Just be glad that your old Bronco can still get it up...

8^)
      1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
      I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

The PCV is certainly one possible scenario. A little strange, since when they're not effective they tend to let oil get out at just about any time, but I suppose your setup could be building extra pressure at certain times for one reason or another.

What valve do you have, and how is it set up? I think we may have talked about this before, but if so, it's been awhile so I need a refresher.

In other words... Got pics?

Paul
          Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
          www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
          68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

89 5.0
            Same comp cam as Patrick
            alum heads w/roller rockers
            all plugs plugged or connected

I'll try and post pics tommorrow

It's just a strange, random burp of oil.

Comment

Does it appear to be coming from the area of the PCV valve and grommet in the very back of the intake manifold?
              I wonder if you are getting a buildup in that area due to having one of the earlier manifolds with the smaller baffle plate underneath?

Paul
              Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
              www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
              68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Not quite sure. Either there or the back of the oil pan. I have a GT40 Manifold and 24# injectors I'm hoping to install in the next week or two.
                The motor is still very clean. It's difficult to tell. All part of the mystery.

Comment

My original 302 was leaking where the rear main cap attaches to the block. I didn't notice it a few years ago when the oil pan was off and I didn't wanna pull the pan just for that. My fix was brake parts cleaner and right stuff over the gap when I was changing my clutch. But that wasn't a pressure issue or burp, just a slow leak.
                  SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Working...
                  X