Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

will these radius arm frame mounts work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will these radius arm frame mounts work?

http://www.polyperformance.com/showi....jpg&tmbn_alt=

Picked up a set of extended arms with johnny joints from another member. I like the extra triangle area to weld on the side of the frame, but these are 3/16 where most others are 1/4. does the extra 1/16 really add that much strength?
    1970 Bronco 302 np435 3.5 lift 33s disc brakes ford 9 w Yukon locker

Re: will these radius arm frame mounts work?

I would recommend buying or making some 1/4 washers and welding them on the outsides of that bracket. I have had a long history of bending the ears on my brackets, making reinstalling the heims a PITA. I welded some washers on my new link mounts, and while they got really groung up, they are still nice and straight

Comment

As long as the bracket is boxed in it should be fine but the washers are a good idea for added piece of mind.
      SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Quite a few people are using those mounts. Because of their design and the steel they are made out of they should be stronger than many 1/4 inch brackets made with mild steel. Welding on an additional washer never hurts, but ideally the bolt should be tight enough so friction holds the joint in place which prevents the bolt from wallowing out the hole. I say go for it!
        Build thread

Comment

Guess I be pulling bolts out to Beefen up my mounts too. Don't got proper bolts anyways.

Comment

Its less the ovaling I was worried about then the trail thrashing. Do JJ's have remvable misalignment spacers? If not, and you wheel a lot, its gonna be a PITA to get the joints back in if the other end is still connected to the axle. At least with heims, they get thinner without the misalignment, and if the bottoms of the brackets are smashed in, you can still get the heim past them pretty easy. I would think the JJ would be harder.

Comment

Should the be boxed as well like plug uglies frame.

Comment

although, weld washers at the least would ensure against ovaling IF a bolt loosened up. Cheap and easy insurance IMO

boxed where jperry? Your frame is boxed already isnt it? And with the brackets you have shown, they will fit square on the frame.
                Last edited by plug ugly; 03-16-2014, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Sorry I meant braced not boxed. Looks like you have extra bracing welded to the frame

Comment

gotcha, no its not necesary, but wouldnt hurt if this is strictly a wheeler. If more of a DD/cruiser/occasional wheeler, I wouldnt worry too much about.. It was a choice I made when doing a ground up build.

Comment

I used these same brakets on my 79. I too welded on some big home made washers to thicken up sides where the bolt goes through.
                      Attached Files

Comment

what size bolts/heims everyone running. the johnny joints currently on the radius arms are 3/4

Comment

thats what I would run, expecially for a radius arm.

4 link, I would still likely run 3/4 but could run 5/8 on the lowers and 9/16 uppers

Comment

I've been using those mounts with my long arms for several years now. I don't take my Bronco on the rocks anymore, but I've put on several thousand miles of high speed dirt road thrashing on the brackets in my Nevada wanderings, with Currie johnny joints. I was worried about the 9/16" bolts being too small but they haven't been an issue. I did get bolts long enough that the shank extends all the way through the bracket, then I shimmed with washers to prevent the nut from bottoming on the threads. That way the full diameter of the bolt shank takes all the shear load.
                            1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
                            I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

I'm using the same thing.

http://www.norcalbroncos.com/forum/s...8&postcount=46

http://www.norcalbroncos.com/forum/s...9&postcount=47

http://www.norcalbroncos.com/forum/a...8&d=1192034106

http://www.norcalbroncos.com/forum/a...0&d=1192034106

http://www.norcalbroncos.com/forum/a...7&d=1194558684
                              Last edited by blwngsket; 03-28-2014, 06:30 PM.
                              1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

Working...
                              X