Shorten 44 ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shorten 44 ??

Seams like more work lining everything back up that way?? Have you run into issues with sleeves??
    70 Bronco, 5.0, ARB front 44, Detroit 9in Rear, Dana 20 w/ Rock Eaters, NP435, Beadlocked 36X13.5 IROXS

2001 F-250, triple gauges, ATO Tranny, 35 SST's, line-x, bully dogged!

Comment

I've never shortened an axle, but I would think that sleeving one would be weaker unless you were also going to build a truss for it as well.
      SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Cut it off find someone that can Mill out the tube slip it back on line up, With other side. Double check, Tack weld, Check again Weld it up Check one more time Install.
        Originally posted by TBS-POPS
        After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

The only thing you need to line up is the "C". You have to do that with not methods.
          When you cut the stock c off, you will have to heat it/press it to get t back on the tube, unless you cut way too much out of when you cut it off, it aligns itself.
          Mark Harris
          71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

I narrowed a 44, cut the tube, then ground down the weld on the C, and pressed it out, had to use some heat also while pressing to get it started. I used an early bronco length inner long side axle so that it's more common than a custom shaft. So the 44 is slightly wider because of the 1/2" longer short side, no big deal to me. When I reinstalled the C, I installed the knuckle and matched the caster and camber of the shortside, tacked, then double checked everything before welding. Came out fine.

Comment

After looking at the axle again... I'm going to strip it down to the tube and shorten both sides to match the EB length and fix the caster angles as mentioned above. Wish me luck!
              70 Bronco, 5.0, ARB front 44, Detroit 9in Rear, Dana 20 w/ Rock Eaters, NP435, Beadlocked 36X13.5 IROXS

Comment

Originally posted by slvregl View Post
                After looking at the axle again... I'm going to strip it down to the tube and shorten both sides to match the EB length and fix the caster angles as mentioned above. Wish me luck!
                More work but the out come will be best.
                Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Originally posted by slvregl View Post
                  My suggestion is to make it 3 inches wider, reason beig is most EB's run wheel spacers anyway.
                  Mark Harris
                  71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

I would go wider but I won't fit on my trailer if I do! I know.... I should have bought the wide deck trailer! Live and learn

Comment

She is being stubborn! Even with heat she does not want to break loose. My press is not tall enough to put the whole axle in so I will cut this side off ( long) side and just put the piece in the press, but I can't do that with the short side because I'm only cutting a half inch off. Any suggestions for the short side??
                      Attached Files

Comment

Use a puller and an impact. You can use a piece of plate with a hole in the middle tack welded to the outmost sides of the C, then use a standard puller with the top section inside the plate so the it's backed up against the plate, then use another piece of steel to cover the end of the tube for the shaft of the puller to push on and start using the impact with some heat applied to the C.

Comment

Thanks I'll give that a shot

Comment

One other thing, your 44 has positive camber, so make sure you check that and write it down before removing your knuckle, then match it after you're done cutting the tube, getting the C's off is a pain, but putting back isn't as bad, should be able to install with a 5lb hammer and a drift if you want.

Comment

Working...
                            X