Painless 23 Circuit Wiring Harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painless 23 Circuit Wiring Harness

I have replaced or rebuilt almost everything on my 74...I now have a shorter list of what I have left to do at least...anyway, I am thinking about updating the wiring harness and am wondering if anyone has installed this: [URL="http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Painless_23_Circuit_Wiring_Harness_Switches#review s"]

Decent reviews online, but I am wondering how long the install takes. Want to determine if I am going to do it or bring it to a shop.

Thanks all!

Shayne

Re: Painless 23 Circuit Wiring Harness

Originally posted by Shayne View Post
    I have replaced or rebuilt almost everything on my 74...I now have a shorter list of what I have left to do at least...anyway, I am thinking about updating the wiring harness and am wondering if anyone has installed this: [URL="http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Painless_23_Circuit_Wiring_Harness_Switches#review s"]

Decent reviews online, but I am wondering how long the install takes. Want to determine if I am going to do it or bring it to a shop.

Thanks all!

Shayne

Calling Paul aka "Dirtdonk" to answer this one...
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Oh great. Put the pressure on Doug, why don't ya!

Actually, I can tell you it's a great setup, and I will hopefully be putting one on my rig one day, but estimating time is a real bear.
      We've talked about it before and it's not out of line to expect to pay $1000 in labor for an install.
      As simple as it is, it can be VERY time consuming to get the details right and clean. A "quickie" install, just throwing it together, could take 2 or 3 full days. I've personally never taken less than a week. Well, more like eleventy-seven weeks, but if you added up just the actual work time, minus all the broken-up days and back-and-forths, I'd say a week wasn't out of the question.

But it could be up and running with two guys in two days I bet. It wouldn't be clean and tidy perhaps, but it would be running.
      I've heard of guys saying they did a Centech in 1 day. Can't say they're lying, but that's just rocking!

Are you running EFI or carburetor? Makes a big difference sometimes, even if it's already been up and running.
      How comfortable are you crimping and/or soldering? The routing is easy, but takes a little thinking to make sure it's where you want it. Luckily, yours is a '74, so shouldn't vary much from how Painless laid it out. So that should save some time.

That vague enough for 'ya Shayne?
      I will say this though. It's very much a fun thing to do, and is very rewarding. In spite of the frustrations, mucho funno.
      Probably doing some of that tomorrow in Cupertino in fact. If a friend has his way.

Paul
      Last edited by DirtDonk; 02-22-2014, 10:12 PM.
      Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
      www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
      68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Thanks Paul, that is helpful!

Running with a carb, which sounds like it might be good. I have never worked on cars before I bought the bronco, so I am learning everything as I go. I have not come across anything that is too hard.

I sold a newer car to stick the cash into the bronco to make it a daily driver, so unfortunately I cannot have it down for a week+. $1000 in labor in this case sounds like it will be worth it.

I am not doing a frame off resto, but I do want things to look good!

Comment

I guess if you were balancing the money equation then, and you felt like you'd like to tackle your own wiring (which could be good experience for diagnosing future issues), you could always rent a car for a couple of weeks for a lot less than that 1000 bucks.

But having a pro do it, can also have the benefit of taking it back if something is wrong.
          I don't necessarily like that option as much though, as these wiring harnesses have been very reliable, and at some point the pros might even stop trying to figure out their own mistakes, after it starts costing them all their profit to keep going back into it.

However, at least that gives you more options to think about. How long it takes you, might also depend on what other commitments you have. If you work a lot and have a family, you might not have as much time to wrap yourself in wiring as would be nice.

Good luck either way. It's fun to both have a Bronco with new wiring (that works!) and to have done it yourself.

Paul
          www.wildhorses4x4.com

Comment

Be sure & let us know what you end up doing. I too have that kit sitting on a shelf just waiting to put it in.
            Good luck with yours.

Comment

I used a Centech harness on my 70. Cant imagine the install to be any different bettween the two. Very easy to install
              I do run the Painless stand alone harnes for my 5.0. and I can say that the quality of the Painless product in my experience is very good. It was cut to size and fit perfectly. High quality wiring. Very nice product that laid out and installed very easily.
              1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

I used an EZ wiring harness on my Bronco and in the past I helped my brother do a Painless classic Mustang specific harness. To be honest I didn't see much of a difference in quality. The EZ harness wires are labeled every few inches just like Painless but for 1/4 the price. It does take a few days to figure out. I think most harnesses are color coded to a basic old Chevy system so I had to find schematics to match up some wires. Aside from that... Not too difficult. I would highly recommend buying a weather pack connector kit for attaching sub-harnesses. Makes everything much easier!
                SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Efibroncoman View Post
                  ...I think most harnesses are color coded to a basic old Chevy system so I had to find schematics to match up some wires.
                  All the other ones I know of do, except for the Painless. Definitely helps that they label the wires. Otherwise it's a steep learning curve!
                  The Painless uses full Ford factory colors. EB specific ones too, whenever it varies from modern Ford colors.

Paul
                  www.wildhorses4x4.com

Comment

I agree with Paul, when I've installed a few harness it always took me about a week, the main reason is because you will run a wire/loom the. After a few hours think of another way to make it look cleaner and re do it all.
                    For the different wiring kits, it's all about the connectors and the instruction. To most of us, wire is wire, it's hard to tell the difference unless you know what to look for.
                    Some kits come with All new connectors (for your headlight switches, buckets, wipers, firewall, etc) other are more universal and you need to re use your 40 year old plastic connectors. Some even force you to use their special parts (centech is famous for having their own headlight switch).
                    In the end, I always buy painless.
                    Mark Harris
                    71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

The Bronco body I bought had a new EZ wiring harness in it and it seemed to be pretty well made. It is a universal type but looked easy to install. For the price, you can't beat it.

Comment

Thats what I used and I liked it a lot.
                        Idle hands equates to wild horses getting my money

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
                          ...Some even force you to use their special parts (centech is famous for having their own headlight switch).
                          Hah! That's true. But it's not really their own custom. And the reasons seemed valid enough in the end.
                          The deal is that they use a later model Ford light switch. They felt it was slightly better anyway, but the real reason is that you can't source the old connectors new any longer.
                          They need to use what they can get to make a complete harness, and they could still get the newer vintage connector. It just requires the use of the later switch.
                          I thought Painless did the same thing in this case, but could be mistaken. I'll have to check sometime. Might even say in their instructions.

The original Bronco switch is still available, but I don't have any real issue using the later version either. From the outside, you can't tell the difference between them.
                          We stock the Centech version, right along with the stock style. If we knew the later application, you could get one from your local auto parts store too.

Paul
                          www.wildhorses4x4.com

Comment

The painless one uses the stock bronco switch
                            Mark Harris
                            71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Coolio. Good to know.
                              Another selling point, like you said.

Paul
                              www.wildhorses4x4.com

Comment

Working...
                              X