Serpentine alternator bracket differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serpentine alternator bracket differences

For years I have been running what I thought was a Mustang 5.0 serpentine alternator bracket, but the 3G swap never quite matched up with the well-documented clearance issues online. For reference, I run the small case 3G with 7" between upper and lower mount bolts.

A little history: Last year, one of my junkyard 3G alternators that I had run for years failed miserably on a trip. Two Autozone lifetime 3G alternators then tested bad right out of the box so I gave up on those and spent $300 on a brand new Powermaster 3G alternator rated at 200 amps. Overkill yes, but like many of us I like overkill.

Enter fitment problems...
    The upper mounting ear never quite lined up with the upper bolt hole (on the tensioner). As stated I do not and never have had the clearance problem on the lower bracket itself. After some head scratching on this with my dad years ago - on the $30 junkyard alternators (my runner and my spare), I remedied this by notching a little out of the upper alternator mounting ear. Fit like a dream.

Same problem with the Powermaster unit. Same solution - a gentle notch to the alternator ear and bolted it right up or so I thought. I've been running this for 6-8 months now and lately there's been a hideous squeak (not one I'm willing to deal with... thought it was the throwout bearing originally). Well apparently my notching wasn't quite as accurate and I hadn't noticed that the pulley wasn't sitting exactly square and in-line with the rest of the pulleys. 1000 or so miles of running like this and it seems I've damaged the alternator pulley bearing. With the belt off, spinning the pulley by hand I can hear it squeaking.

So... a word to the wise, not all early Ford serpentine brackets are created equal and the upper mount tab on the tensioner sits too far forward on some of them. Do not "fix" this by notching your alternator mount tab... go get the correct bracket to start with if your 3G swap isn't as straightforward as what's documented on numerous Fox Body Mustang sites. Maybe I'm the only one who "rednecked" his way out of this, but maybe not.

Sometimes you learn the hard way. This is an admission of my errors and a public service announcement to anybody who may hit something similar. Attached is a picture of what was necessary in my situation, that sent me down yet another expensive learning path. Note that its unbolted top and bottom so its sitting way far out, but you can see my trimming to the upper alternator ear. I am now looking for the correct Mustang bracket and will likely buy another (bad ass) Powermaster unit to replace my now noisy existing unit. Or I may cheap out and pick up a couple more junkyard units.

With that I think it's time for a beer; not going to even think about this for a week or so as I've got out of town obligations (Vegas, baby).

-Tony
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CityHick; 02-20-2014, 07:26 PM.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: Serpentine alternator bracket differences

...well, a Mustang bracket is on its way courtesy of Ebay. Now to decide how to go about this alternator conundrum.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

It's hard to see in this picture but my passenger side accessory bracket is off of an '86 Mercury Cougar and used and old style alternator with external fan. The 3G wouldn't line up with the upper mounting bolt hole(case too big). So I made a small link out of 3/8" flat bar. It has worked for years and is lined up with the other pulleys so I never bothered finding a Mustang bracket.
      Attached Files
      SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I'm a fan of the junkyard alts.
        I love the 3G alt, so much so when I put on the explorer dress, I made brackets to hold the 3G.
        That bracket is interesting, I can not believe how many times ford changed brackets.
        Mark Harris
        71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Don't give up on the old alt just yet CityHick. You may never have done one before, but the learning curve is fairly gentle on replacing the bearings and bushings in an alternator case.
          And I'd be willing to be it's one of the standard off-the-shelf bearings you can find in the drawer of your local AutoZone.

We found one at the Zone down here a few years ago when one needed replacing. This last time it was just an Explorer idler bearing, and nobody had the complete idler just then. So we got the number right off the bearing and they had like 10 of them in stock.

I bet the alternator is a standard caged, sealed roller bearing too. Probably able to confirm that online before making the "long" trip downtown too.

Paul
          Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
          www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
          68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

You might even consider calling PowerMaster and letting them know what happened. Tell 'em the circumstances and see if you can get a bearing from them. If you get the right person at the other end, maybe they'll even send you one?
            Stranger things have happened.

Paul
            www.wildhorses4x4.com

Comment

Paul, see my response in my other related thread. I won't be able to use my existing powermaster alternator with the trimming that I did to the upper mounting tab with the new bracket that I bought. So unless I move all powermaster innards into a new un-altered case I think I'm kinda screwed. But a call to Summit is on my list of things to do when I get back from my trip.
              1970 Bronco
              My build thread

Comment

In case anybody is confused and/or curious - I received the correct Fox-body mustang 5.0 alternator bracket off of eBay. Picked up a replacement (small case) Powermaster 3G 200 amp alternator and the old one is going back to Summit for a refund. Rig is running/charging and seemingly back to normal. The fox mustang bracket requires a small amount of clearancing to accomodate the small case 3g and now it looks factory with my EFI engine. A running rig, I don't know what I'm going to do with myself now.
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
                  A running rig, I don't know what I'm going to do with myself now.
                  DRIVE IT
                  Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                  After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

And keep it driving until at least the 30th!

Paul
                    www.wildhorses4x4.com

Comment

That's the plan fellas! Been missing driving the beast for the past few months but have been WAY too busy to do much more than glance over at it when parking the daily driver next to it every day. Sounded good when I cranked her over and threw a few revs. Tomorrow it'll see a little sun.
                      1970 Bronco
                      My build thread

Comment

Working...
                      X